Homemade Greek Yogurt Recipe
Most people want to stay fit and keep track of what they eat. That’s why the saying “you are what you eat” exists. If you eat healthy, you’re probably going to be a person with healthy habits in general. Today, you can learn how to make delicious Greek yogurt at home.
This will help you reduce the calories and carbohydrates you consume. Yogurt is also a food that can go well with just about anything, and can be served for breakfast as a condiment or as a snack.
Yogurt has historically been used in the culinary world with desserts, but you can use it for anything you’d like – it all depends on your taste. Yogurt is one of the healthiest foods that’s certified by nutritionist as being essential in a balanced diet.
Greek yogurt is made through the fermentation of cow’s or goat’s milk and it must contain 9% milk fat or higher because this is why it is a creamy, dense, and more delicious yogurt than traditional yogurt.It’s also better than traditional yogurt because the fermentation process is less automated and retains more protein and minerals. In other words, Greek yogurt is healthier and richer than the original.
Although this type of yogurt is available in stores (at a much higher price), there are those who prefer to make it at home. It’s a much cheaper and more enjoyable way to eat yogurt.
Read this article too: Natural Blueberry and Yogurt Detox
How to make Greek yogurt at home
The fermentation process for the milk is very important when making yogurt. Make sure you have a yogurt maker or an airtight jar, and you’re able to store it in a warm environment with a stable temperature.
- 4 ½ cups of whole goat or cow’s milk (900 ml)
- ½ cup of cream (100 ml)
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt (50 ml)
Instructions for using a yogurt maker
- If you have a yogurt maker at home, it will be much easier to make yogurt. You just have to add all the ingredients and let it ferment for at least eight hours.
- Once that time is up, strain the contents of the yogurt maker into a separate container, and refrigerate it for 4 hours.
Instructions without a yogurt maker
It’s extremely easy to make homemade Greek yogurt the traditional way, just like it has been made for centuries. It requires a little patience because the fermentation takes time. However, this is definitely the healthiest yogurt.
- To start, add all the ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- The ideal temperature is about 185 ° F. It would be a good idea to use your kitchen thermometer if you have one. If you don’t have one, you can test it with your finger by putting it in the milk and if you can leave it there for at least 5 seconds, then it is at the correct temperature.
- Once it boils, let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Then, pour the mixture into a container with an airtight lid, place it in a warm place, and let it ferment for eight to 10 hours.
- Once that time has passed, strain the yogurt into a separate container. To do this you must use gauze or cheesecloth and strain the contents.
- You can also let the yogurt strain in the refrigerator because the process can take a while.
- Finally, when you finish making your yogurt, pour it into smaller jars for individual portions. The remaining liquid from the yogurt is a milk serum: you can drink it or use it in other types of recipes.
- Now you’re ready to enjoy delicious Greek yogurt at home.
- The ideal place to let the yogurt ferment is the oven. You can preheat it at a low temperature, then turn it off and place the jar with the yogurt inside.
- If you do not have a jar with an airtight lid you can simply use a bowl, put a cloth over it, and seal it with plastic food wrap or bag.
- If you want the yogurt to have a firmer texture, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of powdered milk. This will give the mixture more thickness before fermenting.
- If you prefer low-calorie yogurt you could use light ingredients, such as skim milk and fat-free plain yogurt.
- It is much more advisable to work with quantities of 1 liter in each container you want to prepare.
- If you’re using goat’s milk, the fermentation process time should be doubled, up to 20 to 24 hours.