Home Remedies for Controlling Your Fever
Your body is smart. A fever is one of the body's most brilliant strategies to attack infections. Controlling your fever with home remedies is a great way to restore your health when your temperature is too high.
Normal human body temperature ranges between 36 and 37 °C (96.8 and 98.6 °F). However, when the body detects the presence of an infection, the body raises its temperature in order to reduce the movement of microorganisms. When this happens, controlling the fever can become a complicated task.
When your temperature automatically raises it takes place because the body is preparing itself to eliminate harmful bacteria and viruses. Having a fever is not a problem, it’s part of the body’s healing process. It only becomes a problem if your temperature is above 38.5°C (101.3°F).
In such cases, you must act accordingly in order for the body to recover back into its normal state.
Home Remedies to Control Your Fever
Hippocrates, the famous ancient Greek physician said: “Give me the power to produce fever and I’ll cure all disease“. By saying this, he was referring to the body’s ability to destroy internal enemies through heat. Hippocratic medicine was on to the body’s power to heal itself.
Certainly, bacterium and viruses can live comfortably inside your body because its normal temperature is perfect for their growth. However, when you have a fever, their ability to reproduce is limited, which allows the body’s defenses to fight them more effectively.
So, a fever is your ally. However, you can join your body’s battle to regain its health by using taking advantage of its natural intelligence. Therefore, using home remedies to control your fever is a good option.
Read this article, too: Home Remedies When You Have a Fever
Potato Peel Broth
When it comes to controlling your fever, potato broth can be helpful because it’s very nourishing and it hydrates the body. A potato peel broth has vitamins and minerals that are ideal for restoring your health.
You should be well-hydrated in order to replace the fluids that you have lost in your sweat. Therefore, you should prepare soups that are full of nutritious elements in order to strengthen your immune system.
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 onion
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- First, wash and peel the vegetables. Set the potato peels to the side.
- Second, cut the vegetables into slices.
- Third, pour the water into a saucepan. Add the peels and other ingredients.
- Bring it to a boil and let it continue boiling for 30 to 45 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Then, strain the vegetables and let them cool down.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, you can add a bit of parsley to season and strengthen the mineral components.
Potato and Vinegar Compresses
You can also use potatoes to make another old home remedy to control your fever.
In this case, instead of consuming them, put them on directly your body so their healing powers can flow through the skin. You’ll see how your fever drops 20 minutes after applying these compresses.
- 2 potatoes
- 2 cups of vinegar (of any type) (500 ml)
- Start by peeling the potatoes and cutting them into slices.
- Then, soak them in vinegar for 1 hour.
- Finally, drain the potatoes for 10 minutes, wrap them in a cloth and place them on your forehead.
When it comes to fighting a fever, tea not only will help you recover, but will also delight you with its charming aroma.
Among the many properties of ginger, it can help restore the immune system.
Drink this tea whenever your fever begins to go up. If you still have the fever after six hours, drink the tea again.
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger (15 g)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- Honey (to taste)
- Put the water in a pot and let it boil.
- Then, add the freshly grated ginger to the water and wait for the liquid to reduced 1/4 of its original amount.
- Let it cool down and strain.
- Finally, add the honey to each cup and drink.
Check out this article, too: Tips that May Help to Reduce a Fever Naturally
Your pantry should never be missing some of the best natural remedies like chamomile, thyme, calendula, basil and ginger roots.
Basil has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic. It’s a fantastic home remedy to control your fever and reduce your body temperature.
- 2 tablespoons of basil leaves (30 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- First, heat up the water until it reaches a boil and then add the basil.
- Afterward, cover the pot and let it rest fr a few minutes before you strain it.
- Finally, avoid using sugar in this mixture. It would be better to sweeten it with honey.
Other Tips for Controlling Your Fever Naturally
Get some rest.
When your body is overheated, you shouldn’t do other activities except for sleeping. Having a fever is a reason to be completely dedicated to recovering your health.
What you should be doing at this time is monitoring your body temperature every 2 hours to make sure you don’t reach a dangerously high temperature.
Tip 2: Take a bath/shower with warm water
This is a popular home remedy for controlling your fever. The warm water will make you feel good and the bath/shower will help lower your body temperature.
It’s not necessary to use soap. Just stay under water for 5 to 10 minutes, until you feel new again.
If you don’t feel like taking a bath/shower, you can place cold water compresses in the areas where there’s a lot of heat such as the armpits and groin. By doing so, you can reduce your body temperature as the water evaporates.
Tip 3: Use some spice
Adding a nice touch of pepper, pieces of pepper or hot sauce in your soups and infusions is one of the most surprising home remedies for controlling your fever. Precisely, this sensory explosion of spiciness will get you to sweat, expel toxins, balance your body temperature and help your blood flow.
If you don’t like spiciness, then you can use it in moderation so that you can benefit from its effects and not feel any additional discomfort by consuming it excessively.
When to Get Help
These home remedies for controlling your fever will help you by regulating your body temperature.
On the contrary, if your fever doesn’t drop after three days and you have other symptoms such as a rash, difficulties breathing, excessive muscle aches, among others, don’t stay at home. This would be the moment to receive medical attention and have the doctor apply a more effective treatment.