Henna: The Healthy and Natural Way to Dye Your Hair
In this article, learn how to use Henna. This is a healthy and natural way to dye your hair, as long as it doesn't contain any extra additives.
Henna is a totally natural product that will not only color your hair, but will restore its strength while avoiding the damaging effects of commercial dyes. In this article, we’ll explain how to dye your hair with henna and where to find it.
What is henna?
Henna is the Arabic name for a bush, known as Lawsonia inermis, from which you can make a natural dye with a reddish.
Henna dye is made from the leaves, which manufacturers dry and pulverize. You can apply your own hair color to it, but some people also use it as a dye to temporarily and naturally tattoo the skin.
See Also: Father Gets Tattoo of Son’s Scar
Benefits for the Hair
Henna is a product of vegetable origin, without any additives. Aside from the fact that it’s natural, it offers the following benefits for our hair:
- Gives hair a natural-looking color
- Some say it strengthens hair. This makes it a great option for those with fine or easily damaged hair.
- Gives hair some additional shine and radiance
- The dye lasts for approximately 3 months and will fade gradually, making the fading less noticeable than with commercial products.
- Covers gray hairs
- Henna leaves a reddish color, but can be combined with other plants to create a variety of colors. Neutral henna contains no color and is used as a hair mask.
- You can use it as often as you wish.
Dangers of Commercial Dyes
When you use henna, you’re not only benefiting your hair by using natural products, you’re also avoiding the damaging effects of commercial dyes. These may contain peroxide and ammonia, two chemical substances that damage the hair and can cause the following symptoms if you use them too frequently:
- Scalp irritation
- Imbalance of the hair’s natural oils, leading to either greasy or dry hair.
- Hair loss
- Thin, brittle, damaged hair
- Split ends
How do I use it?
Always follow the instructions that come with the product.
Here are the general steps:
- Mix the powdered henna with lemon juice to make a uniform paste. Lemon juice helps the dye set better.
Read Also: Lemon and Flaxseed Water for Health
- Leave in a plastic-covered bowl for at least 8 hours. You can prepare it the night before the morning you intend to use it.
- Wash your hair well without using any conditioner then dry with a towel.
- Divide the hair into sections and begin applying the paste from the roots, completely covering the hair.
- Once covered, wrap the hair in plastic and cover with a towel.
- Let sit for one hour, or the recommended amount of time indicated in your product’s instructions.
- Wash your hair normally.
As we’ve said before, people also use henna to dye the skin. That’s why it’s absolutely necessary to wear gloves while working with henna to avoid stains that will be difficult to remove later.
You can avoid getting the dye on your forehead by first applying a thin layer of petroleum jelly around the hairline.
Finally, be very careful with your clothing while working with henna, as it stains easily.
Where can I find it?
You can find henna in herbalist shops, natural products stores, and in some stores that carry Arabic products. People also find it online.
You should choose a quality product that doesn’t contain any chemical additives and is completely organic. There are many products that list this as one of their ingredients, but they aren’t all completely natural. Pay attention to whether the product is pure henna powder, or merely contains some of it. There’s a big difference between the two. This article is about the pure substance in powder form.
Images courtesy of Miss Pupik and Jade