Healthy Vegan Cheese with Oregano
Healthy vegan cheese with oregano is made with avocados. It's a healthy way to replace conventional cheese and it's great for those who follow a vegan diet or those who want to improve their diets.
Healthy vegan cheese with oregano is made with avocados. It’s a healthy way to replace conventional cheese and it’s great for those who follow a vegan diet or those who want to improve their diets.
As many people know, avocado is one of the most versatile and healthy foods that you can incorporate into your diet. Due to its incomparable flavor, it’s great for salads, smoothies, sauces and other recipes. Have you ever tried vegan cheese with oregano?
Although it’s not conventional cheese, it’s a recipe that’s rich in nutrients that we can use to replace this ingredient in some dishes. In fact, it goes perfectly with whole grain bread, cookies and other breakfasts and snacks.
Vegan cheese with oregano
There are many recipes for preparing vegetable cheeses from seeds, nuts or roots. However, in today’s article, we’ll tell you about an interesting way to prepare a vegan cheese with oregano. It’s definitely a great choice for those who want to maintain a healthier and more balanced diet.
Additionally, it can be used in weight-loss diets, since it has far fewer calories than traditional cheeses. Among other things, it provides healthy fats, proteins and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Would you like to try it?
- 3 medium avocados
- 4 tablespoons of raw coconut oil (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt or Himalayan salt (5 g)
- 6 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (90 g)
- 1/4 cup of fermented vegetable drink (62.5 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of psyllium powder (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano leaves (20 g)
Discover: Coconut Oil for Improving Oral Health
- Deep mixing bowls
- Circular molds
- Baking paper
- First, cut the avocados in half and remove the pulp
- Then, put it in the blender along with the coconut oil and the lemon juice.
- After that, add the salt, nutritional yeast and fermented vegetable drink.
- Beat for two minutes and then add the psyllium powder.
- Make sure you get a smooth, thick mixture.
- Once you have the right consistency, take a large circular mold and fill it with the avocado paste on top of the baking paper.
- Put the cheese in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
- After that time, take them out to make sure they have the right consistency.
- Finally, remove the molds and coat the cheese with oregano.
How to make the fermented vegetable drink
One question you might have when it comes to making your own vegan cheese is where to buy the fermented vegetable drink that’s part of the ingredients. Don’t worry! We’ll share a simple recipe so that you can make it at home.
Ingredients (for 3 liters)
- 1 cup of buckwheat, quinoa or kamut grains (200 g)
- 12 cups of water (3 liters)
- Large glass jar
- Rubber band or string
- Piece of cloth
- First, let the grain germinate. To do this, put the grains in the glass jar and soak them for about 8 hours.
- Cover the mouth of the bottle with the piece of cloth and fasten it with the rubber band or string.
- Then, drain the water and leave the bottle tilted down and diagonal for two more days.
- After two days, rinse and fill the bottle with twice as much water.
- Then, let them soak for another 24 hours. During that time, the germinated grains should ferment the liquid.
- After 24 hours, strain the water and store it in the glass jar in the fridge. If you would want, you can repeat the fermentation with the same grains twice more, but only for 12 hours.
Note: You can also use lentil grains, among others. The most important thing is to comply with the fermentation process. Remember, if the temperature is high, the drink will experience more fermentation. Therefore, if it’s cold, it’ll probably require more time.
Read this article: Six Vegan Breakfasts You’ll Love
What to put it on
Vegan cheese with avocado and oregano is a healthy option. Usually, it’s made by people who are following a vegan or vegetarian diet. However, it’s also a great option for those who just want to improve their diet. Although it’s true that it’s very different from traditional cheese, it can be used for many dishes as a replacement.
So, don’t hesitate to try it on:
- Bread and toast
- Tacos and burritos
Remember that calorie amounts will vary according to portion sizes. In general, as with other recipes, you should eat it in moderate portions. Additionally, it’s best to accompany it with other healthy foods so you don’t ruin the concept of a healthy diet. What are you waiting for? Go ahead and try it out!