High cholesterol is a reality that affects almost half the adult population. This statistic offers us a very concerning outlook for this silent disease, especially since we generally don’t pay much attention to it.
Although it does not hurt and goes easily unnoticed, little by little the excess of fat builds up in our arteries, hardening them, increasing the likelihood of arteriosclerosis or strokes that we can avoid if we are more cautious with our diet and lifestyle.
Our physician should keep us informed of our cholesterol levels, assessing the amount of good cholesterol (HDL) and the so-called bad cholesterol (LDL). Our physician should also be the one to tell us if we should begin undergoing treatment or change our diet — something basic and essential, because although cholesterol by itself is a necessary lipid for the body, its excess can be near fatal, which is why we should take this condition seriously and correct our dietary habits.
To help you with your diet, today we will give you some simple recipes to make nutritious and healthy juices that can help you reduce your cholesterol levels. You should be consistent and take them daily, always valuing the incredible properties that natural foods can give us.
Basic Instructions For Reducing Cholesterol
- What to eat: Nutritionists recommend that we consume at least 15-30 grams of fiber each day, and above all, soluble fiber that allows for the absorption of fats and sugars, regulating the cholesterol in this way. So legumes, oatmeal, barley, fruits like banana, apples, strawberries, etc. are indispensable. Remember to also eat healthy fats derived from tuna, olive oil, and dried fruits such as walnuts.
- What not to eat: Avoid as much as possible saturated fats and processed foods such as red meats, lunch meats, dairy products, chips, alcohol, and sweets. Remember that you should try not to eat too much fruit, since the fructose plays an important role in the formation of triglycerides.
To reduce cholesterol, it is essential to eat vegetables, and one way to achieve this is through juices and smoothies. In this case, the properties of beets are perfect for reducing cholesterol, as well as strawberries, rich in antioxidants.
- 1 beet
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 handful blueberries
- Orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon wheat bran
Wash the blueberries, strawberries, and beet, cutting into pieces and placing in a blender, including the the oatmeal and orange juice. Next, add half a cup of water and mix until homogenous and without lumps.
It is preferable to eat in the mornings, every day; it will help you lower your cholesterol.
The artichoke is one of the vegetables with the most medicinal properties, among which is its property for reducing cholesterol, regulating arterial blood pressure, and taking care of our heart.
- 1 artichoke heart, already steamed (for this will will have already selected the most tender leaves from the center of the same artichoke)
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/2 a garlic head, minced
- 1/2 a glass of water
Take all the ingredients, including the water, and place in a blender. Blend well until the mixture is uniform. This artichoke juice may be drunk up to twice a day, in the morning and with dinner, for example. It is, without a doubt, a perfect juice to reduce cholesterol and regulate high blood pressure.
Pineapple is another fundamental element for reducing cholesterol. In addition to its many properties, if we accompany it with lemon, it will be transformed into as refreshing a juice as it is healthy, a perfect cocktail for parties that serve you, for example, as a perfect accompaniment after those party foods that are a little heavy.
- 28.2 ounces (approximately 4 cups) pineapple, sliced
- Juice of 3 lemons
- A pinch of cloves
- 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 8 1/2 cups water
Blend the pineapple with a glass of water. Stir the lemon juice and spices into the remaining water and stir well. Once we have blended the pineapple, add it to the other mixture and stir until it all becomes uniform. Then, let it cool in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, for a very refreshing juice that you can serve after meals as a cocktail. It is very refreshing and pleasant, and eliminates toxins as serves to digest your food better and reduce your cholesterol.
In closing, these juices can help you as long as you are consistent in drinking them; if you add to this maintaining a balanced diet and exercising a little every day, your health and your quality of life will considerably notice a difference.