Have a Smoothie Bowl for Breakfast
A good-quality breakfast can add many important benefits to your life. So, stick around, as we're about to tell you how to make a delicious smoothie bowl for the first meal of your day!
What exactly is a smoothie bowl?
A smoothie bowl is a simple bowl of fresh fruit to which you add additional ingredients or toppings such as muesli, oatmeal, chia seeds, or cocoa, among others. It’s a simple dish to which you can add portions of the various food groups to start your day full of energy and well-nourished.
When you eat a smoothie bowl for breakfast, you may consume fiber, vitamins, liquids, and other macro-nutrients your body needs to function properly.
Would you like to know more about it? Continue reading to learn more about the importance of starting your day with a proper breakfast. Also, we’ve included some recipes you can start with. Check them out!
The importance of a healthy breakfast
To begin with, let’s talk about the origin and meaning of the word breakfast. Basically, it means “first meal of the day” or “to break the fast.” Some authors refer to it as “a solid meal consumed before starting the workday.”
In fact, from a nutritional point of view, experts say you can’t have good metabolism if you skip breakfast. This is because you must have an appropriate source of energy and nutrients to support your body functions throughout the day. Thus, when you don’t eat breakfast, your body turns to its reserves of body fat and muscles to get what it needs.
Fortunately, some wholesome breakfasts are easy to prepare and contribute to the maintenance of your well-being. Some examples are turkey and tomato toast, oatmeal or muesli, or a smoothie bowl that has everything your metabolism requires.
The benefits of eating breakfast
Given it’s the first nutritional contribution of a day, this meal can help:
- Improve your intellectual performance.
- Encourage an optimal nutrient intake.
- Prevent nutritional deficiencies.
- Get the proper distribution of energy throughout the day (this is great for maintaining your body weight).
- Promote proper development in children.
- Prevent obesity and chronic diseases associated with an energy imbalance.
Smoothie bowls recipes that are nutritious and easy to prepare
It seems like smoothies have gone a little out of style these days. However, they’ve been replaced by nutritious smoothie bowls. In fact, the new ones are a lot more satisfying and it only takes a few minutes to prepare them. So, there’s no excuse not to begin your day with a nutritious, appetizing and simple breakfast.
Keep reading to find out how to prepare them.
You may be interested: Seven Consequences of Skipping Breakfast You Should Know About
Blackberry-banana smoothie bowl
Ingredients for 2 servings
- 1½ c. of frozen blackberries or any other berry of your choice
- 1½ frozen bananas (we recommend that you slice them before freezing them)
- 2 tbsp. of homemade peanut butter or 1 scoop of protein powder
- ½ c. of cold water
- First, place the frozen fruit, peanut butter, water and ice in a blender.
- Then, blend to a creamy consistency.
- Finally, add toppings such as homemade muesli or grated coconut.
Chocolate-almond butter smoothie bowl
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 2 frozen bananas
- ¼ c. natural almond butter
- 2 tbsp 100% cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c. cold milk of your choice or plain cold water
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Cocoa nibs (optional)
- First, add the six first ingredients into a blender and blend them to a thick and creamy consistency
- Then, add the cocoa nibs. These rich in antioxidants and unsaturated fatty acids that are good for protecting your heart.
Possible toppings for a smoothie bowl for breakfast
There are so many possible toppings that your options are unlimited and delicious. In fact, there are so many that a complete list would never end! However, here are a few ideas.
To add more flavor, improve the texture of your smoothie bowl and provide a greater supply of nutrients, you can add:
- Saltless pumpkin seeds
- Berries (blackberries, strawberries, blueberries)
- Chia seeds
- Dehydrated coconut
- Cocoa nibs
- Bitter chocolate in pieces
- Muesli, granola, or oatmeal
- Whole grains
- Homemade peanut butter, almond butter, or hazelnut butter
Be creative and improve your nutrition
Finally, it’s important to emphasize that you have to mix and match different food groups to take advantage of their nutritional benefits and maintain optimal nutrition. Therefore, there are multiple ways to improve your eating habits by opting for healthy, easy-to-prepare breakfasts.
Remember: You are what you eat!