Remember that chemical-free natural products are always the best solution for avoiding these kinds of problems.
Sometimes, one bad decision can lead us to devastating health consequences. Keep it in mind!
Products with butylhydroxyanisole (BHA)
While many products use ingredients like butylhydroxyanisole (BHA), you should stop using them.
This component preserves and stabilizes other ingredients, which is why it’s common in a wide range of products.
You can see just how much it’s used by looking at different product labels. BHA is often in body and lip moisturizes and even medical treatments.
The problem is that BHA is harmful for the endocrine system and recent studies link it to certain types of cancer.
Parabens are especially common in body lotions and beauty products. It’s an ingredient that stops fungus and bacteria from growing and spreading, but it has many contraindications.
Parabens are linked to hormonal problems and breast cancer.
- Choose organic alternatives that use natural antifungals like vitamin E and citric acid.
Retinyl palmitate is derived from vitamin A, but some specialists associate it with tumor growth.
Be critical when you buy a cream, lotion or sunscreen with vitamin A. Make sure that this ingredient isn’t on the list.
You can commonly find triethanolamine products such as mascara and body lotions. The chemical balances pH levels.
It’s on our list because it’s an irritant for the respiratory tract as well as the skin. In addition, studies have linked it to cancer.
When you need to buy a beauty product, make sure that you look for one that’s triethanolamine-free!
You can even opt to make your own body lotion. Take a look!
- ¼ cup of jojoba oil (50 g)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons of beeswax (30 g)
- 2 tablespoon of shea butter (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (10 ml)
- First, put the jojoba oil, coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter into a glass bowl and melt together using a double boiler.
- Then, when all of the ingredients have melted together, mix with a wooden spoon.
- Next, take it off the heat, add the vanilla extract and mix all the ingredients well.
- Finally, store the mixture in a glass or plastic jar, and you have your homemade vanilla body lotion. It’s that simple!
Perfumes containing phthalates
Citric products often have a component called “phthalates”. Phthalates aren’t recommendable for your health at all.
You might think that a perfume contains lemon when in reality, you’re just smelling chemicals.
- Phtalates also appear in insecticides and wood-treatment products.
- They not only pollute the environment, but also cause allergies and respiratory problems.
If you have a citrus perfume, check the ingredient label. When you go shopping, avoid any that include phthalates in their make up.
Finally, this difficultly-named chemical acts as a preservative. DMDM hydantoin works to make products like shampoos, body lotions and mascaras last longer. The lasting effect is the reason why it’s so common in so many toiletry products these days.
However, DMDM hydantoin can lead to eye and skin problems. It’s always a good idea to read the back label of your products to see if they contain this chemical and avoid buying ones that do.
Opting for natural products is a great solution for taking care the health of both your face and body.