Garlic is a food with many uses, both in the kitchen and for medicinal purposes. This vegetable is one that should never be missing from your pantry since it is an ideal complement to many recipes and it is also one of the best allies for your health and the prevention of many illnesses. But did you know that you can grow garlic at home?
Just like many other vegetables, garlic is very easy to grow in pots and it only needs a lot of patience and to know how to choose the variety of garlic that you want to plant.
Once you are ready, you should choose a good spot, keeping in mind that the roots of this plant grow very deep and you should have a pot that is at least 20 centimeters (about 8 inches) high.
Why is it good to grow garlic at home?
Growing your own herbs and spices at home is a great idea since you will be sure that they are of organic origin and have not been subjected to some type of pesticide.
Also, it is a way to have an endless supply of this plant, and each time that you need some garlic you will always have some ready.
Growing garlic at home is really special since, in addition to being very easy, you will obtain as a result this food which is so healthy for your body.
Garlic is rich in nitrogenous substances, sodium, potassium, selenium, calcium, magnesium, silicon, hydrogen sulfide, phosphoric acid, vitamins C, D, B, phytosterols and essential oils.
Further, it contains allicin, which is obtained when the garlic is crushed or ground before eating. It should be highlighted that you obtain the most from these wonderful qualities of garlic whenever it is consumed raw. It is estimated that by cooking garlic you lose up to 90% of its properties.
Benefits of garlic
- It helps to improve blood circulation.
- It helps prevent high blood pressure.
- It reduces the bad cholesterol.
- It fights fluid retention.
- It helps the digestion.
- It helps to fight bacteria.
- It helps to clean and detox the body.
- It is a diuretic food that can help to fight problems such as rheumatism, gout, obesity, and arthritis, among others.
- It is a disinfectant for the skin; It helps relieve burns, wounds, sores, in addition to those pesky warts.
- It helps prevent infections and diseases.
- It has anti-cancer properties that could help in cases of stomach cancer, colon cancer, liver or heart cancer, among others.
- It is a natural antibiotic.
- It helps to fight fungus.
How do you plant garlic at home?
To plant garlic at home you will need the following:
- 1 whole garlic
- 1 pot that is 20 cm (8 inches) deep
- Potting soil
- Choose a whole garlic of the type your prefer and separate the cloves, leaving the skin on.
- Choose a pot that is at least 20 cm (8 inches) deep and make sure it has good water drainage at the bottom so that the water will drain well each time you water it. Fill the pot with sufficient potting soil but leave at least a centimeter (half an inch) of space at the top.
- Next place the garlic cloves in the pot, burying them at least 10 centimeters (8 inches) and with the pointed end facing up.
- You can add more garlic cloves to the top whenever there is, at least, a minimum of 8 centimeters (3 inches) of between them.
- Finally, place the pot in an area of your house that receives direct sunlight for at least 8 hours a day.
Special care to keep in mind
It is best to grow garlic when the climate is hot since it is the sun that determines its germination. However, you can grow it in the winter as long as you take special precautions which will give good results.
Avoid excessive watering of the garlic plants, since too much water could make the garlic clove that you planted begin to rot.
The harvest time for garlic can take between 8 and 10 months, just when the outside leaves begin to turn a brownish color. When this occurs, you can remove the garlic head, put it in a cool, dry place for one week and its ready: now you have a whole garlic to use for medicinal or culinary purposes.