How to Get Rid of Fleas with Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous earth is the safest way to get rid of fleas and ticks. While it’s deadly for parasites, it’s harmless for humans and pets.
Most pet owners have had to deal with fleas at some point. These hated creatures are external parasites that live off of warm-blooded animals. It’s very common to find them on dogs or cats. Getting rid of them can be difficult. One natural product that might be good for dealing with them is diatomaceous earth.
When there’s a flea epidemic at home, these creatures attack your pets. That’s why getting rid of them should be a priority for you.
Of course, there are many products on the market that are very effective. But, they rely on high levels of chemicals. These can affect both your animals and you.
Also read: Natural Remedies to Keep Flies at Bay
- An alternative, but effective treatment is diatomaceous earth.
- This is a rock that’s made of the residues from the fossils of a very hard shell.
- It’s safe for humans and animals. But, thanks to its sharp edges, it becomes lethal to insects and parasites. This is because it dehydrates them and dries them out.
When a female flea finds her way into your pet’s fur, her objective is to lay her eggs there.
This isn’t the only problem. The eggs fall out easily. They end up in your couches, furniture and other areas where the animal spends time.
Wherever your pet goes, flea eggs will probably end up and hatch.
As a result, we’re faced with hidden larvae. You can find them in the depths of pillows, cushions, easy chairs and even in the cracks of your floors.
You need to treat them constantly to get rid of them. This is because they can re-infest both your pet and your house.
If you still haven’t found a solution for getting rid of fleas, today we will give you a great treatment that uses diatomaceous earth.
Diatomaceous earth treatment for fleas
This treatment should focus on the areas where your pet often stays. This means their bed, a pillow, a cushion they sleep on, or even the grass in your yard.
Diatomaceous earth is found in hardware stores, nurseries, and even in garden stores.
It’s very important that you don’t buy the kind for pools. It has to be food grade diatomaceous earth.
Follow these steps to use it:
- Using gloves and a protective mask, grab a small amount of the dirt. Then, sprinkle it on your pet. Rub it into its fur.
- Brush your pet with a comb to help it spread all over its fur.
Note: Be careful not to get the substance inside your pet’s ears.
- Spread the diatomaceous earth on the pillow or on the bed that your pet sleeps on. It’s important that your animal is out of the house when you do this. They should be gone until the dust settles.
- The dirt needs to reach the corners and cracks of the wall and floor. For pillows, you have to let them be for a few hours. It’s preferable to leave the dust on all-night long. Afterward, remove the dust.
You can remove the dust by shaking the pillows. However, the best option is to use a vacuum cleaner to keep the dust from affecting your animal.
Don’t forget any area!
- In the areas that you know fleas and ticks use to get in, make a barrier with diatomaceous earth. Keep them from getting into your house.
- Rub it in the cracks outside and especially in your yard. The grass and plants, in general, are more likely to have fleas. Because of this, it’s important that you spread this dirt on your yard.
- If you have trees in your yard, it’s important that you sprinkle this dirt on their bark. Also, sprinkle it on your bushes, fences, and any other area your animal can pick up these annoying parasites.
- If your pet has been in your car, it’s a good idea to sprinkle diatomaceous earth on your seats, floor and in the cushions. This kills any fleas or ticks they may have left.
Do the same thing you did with the cushions in your house: leave them be for a few hours and then vacuum them.
- The best thing is to repeat this process every two weeks to get rid of any flea or tick that your animal might have brought into the house during this time.