How to Get Rid of Age Spots
Solar lentigines, liver spots, age marks...No matter what you call them, you probably want to get rid of them. Check out these great natural remedies to help lesson or reduce your age spots.
Do you have age spots?
If so, did you know that age spots can get bigger or darker with time?
While they are painless and don’t have any other symptoms, many people want to get rid of them for aesthetic reasons.
Today, we’ll tell you how to eliminate age spots in a natural way.
Age spots: what you need to know
We call them solar lentigines or “liver spots”. They’re flat, brown or black marks that appear on various parts of the body.
They’re common on the face, neck, and back of one’s hands. Some people also get them on their arms, back, and feet.
These spots can start to show up at 50 years old and are associated with excessive exposure to UV rays.
They can be different sizes, and though they’re harmless in most cases, they need to be examined by a doctor in order to rule out the possibility of cancer.
Discoloration on one’s face, neck, and hands is very common, especially in middle-aged women. In order to understand this phenomenon, we first have to talk about melanin, the pigment that gives color to your skin.
When your skin is in contact with the sun, melanin production increases in order to protect the inner layers of skin from harmful UV rays.
The same thing happens when you use tanning beds or lamps over a period of time.
Other factors that contribute to the appearance of age spots are chronic illnesses, aging, and an improper or poor diet.
Want to learn more? Face Masks That Eliminate Dark Spots
Natural remedies for age spots
Many people opt for expensive and sometimes painful medical or aesthetic treatments to try and get rid of their age spots.
However, you can also take advantage of nature in order to lessen age spots.
Let’s take a look at how.
1. Lemon juice
This is one of the best “spot removers” out there.
Both the citric acid as well as the antioxidants in lemons act as a natural lightener which lessens age spots (which also explains why so many cosmetic creams are use this juice).
- All you have to do is squeeze half a lemon and dip a cotton ball into it.
- Smooth over your whole face or just the affected area and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Then, rinse with cold water.
- We recommend applying this treatment daily and at night.
- If you apply it during the day, the lemon’s acids can have the opposite effect and cause more spots.
You can get whey in stores that sell natural products, or in beauty stores. The acid in whey cleans your face and eliminates age spots.
Here’s all you have to do:
- Apply every day to your recently-washed skin before bed.
3. Aloe vera
This plant should be in every home because it’s so wonderful for your skin. It works to heal wounds as well as to lessen age spots.
It’s easy to apply, too:
- Cut a stalk of aloe vera horizontally and extract the liquid.
- Wash your face and neck well and apply the gel.
- Let dry, without rinsing.
4. Apple cider vinegar
It’s a staple in your kitchen because of the flavor it gives your food. However, it can also be used to treat different skin problems, as well as infections.
The acids in this vinegar get rid of dead skin cells and rejuvenate your skin. This treatment can be done orally or topically. For the former, you should drink it everyday.
- 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (5 ml)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of honey (7.5 g)
- Add the half tablespoon of vinegar to the cup of water.
- Mix well and drink every morning.
- If you wish, you can add a teaspoon of honey to give it a more pleasant flavor.
To apply it to your skin, the topical treatment with apple cider vinegar includes other easy-to-find ingredients.
- 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tablespoon of rose water (5 ml)
- Peel the onion and crush with a mortar and pestle to form a paste.
- Add the vinegar and rose water.
- Wash your face with a mild soap and dry.
- Apply the mask to your age spots.
- Let sit for 20 minutes and rinse with warm water.
5. Castor oil
Castor oil is becoming more and more popular in beauty treatments. Believe it or not, it can also work for you if you have age spots.
It’s very simple. All you have to do is put a few drops of this plant essence on your hands and smooth onto affected areas every night.
This oil is one of the best out there for your skin, since it stimulates collagen and elastin fiber production.
With regular use you will get softer, clearer skin free of wrinkles and spots.
6. Oxygenated water
This is another item that should be in every home, since it’s a part of the first aid toolkit. Here, you can use it to lessen age spots.
Smooth a cotton ball soaked in oxygenated water over your face every night before bed. Don’t rinse.
Give these great natural remedies a try and say goodbye to age spots!