Fresh Citrus, Date, and Almond Salad
By combining citrus, dates, and almonds we can make a refreshing salad to enjoy at lunch or dinner. Are you interested? Discover the recipe!
Today, we want to show you how to prepare this fresh citrus, date, and almond salad. The best part about this recipe is that this salad is diet-friendly and easy to make! Thanks to its interesting combination of ingredients, it’s a good source of essential nutrients such as proteins, omega 3, vitamins, and minerals.
Are you ready?
How to prepare fresh citrus, date, and almond salad
The base can be very varied, but lettuce, endive, or lamb’s lettuce are the best option. We can also add our favorite vegetables to the mix. Tomato, carrot, or beet are excellent options. This way, we can take advantage of all the benefits that beets offer our cardiovascular health, as a study published in Advances in Nutrition highlights.
Let’s start with the main ingredients. Orange wedges are the best citrus fruit for this salad. However, a squeeze of lemon juice can also be used in the dressing. Dates will provide a sweet touch and almonds a crunchy texture, although they can be replaced by any other nut.
We’ll add more omega 3 fatty acids thanks to the olive oil in the dressing. Use a teaspoon of mustard and a touch of lemon juice to complete the mixture. Finish off with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, place the washed lettuce and the vegetables you chose. Remember these vegetables must be cut into small pieces.
- Then, cut the dates in quarters and add them. Add the whole orange segments and very chopped almonds to give a crunchy touch.
- When everything is ready, prepare the dressing, which consists of 2 tablespoons of oil for each teaspoon of mustard and lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and dress the salad 5 minutes before eating. It’s important to mix it well so that all the flavors are integrated.
Don’t miss out: Three Rice Salad Recipes You’ve Got to Try
Benefits of citrus, date, and almond salad
Aside from being a simple and convenient dish to prepare, this fresh citrus, date, and almond salad has multiple benefits for our health. First of all, as supported by research published in Chemistry Central Journal, this dish helps fight inflammation, aging, and free radicals thanks to the contribution of antioxidants from citrus fruits,
Moreover, it constitutes an interesting source of omega 3 which is crucial for the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system. A regular supply of unsaturated fatty acids helps prevent atheroma plaques in the arteries and reduces the risk of a heart attack.
Also, this dish helps with protein contribution. Although they’re proteins of vegetable origin, nuts and dried fruit are a good source of this macronutrient. If we seek to maximize the intake of amino acids, we can add some animal protein such as fresh cheese or cheese cubes, although this would increase the caloric value.
A good idea for anyone looking to lose weight
It’s a light dish of low caloric value. Dates are a source of simple carbohydrates, but it’s possible to reduce their quantity in case of looking for a weight loss. The same goes for oil and mustard, which are foods with a high energy density.
- Two tablespoons of oil and a teaspoon of mustard ensure that the dish doesn’t exceed the permitted calories without having to sacrifice all the tasty parts.
- It’s an excellent choice to complete dinners, which can even be taken in a Tupperware to eat out.
- It’s not heavy in terms of digestion and we can vary the vegetables we use to avoid boredom.
Read more: Three Recipes with Seasonal Vegetables
Another positive aspect of this recipe is that it can be kept for a few days if properly refrigerated. Covered with a film and kept in the refrigerator, it can last 2 or 3 days without any issue whatsoever.
However, if we want to keep it there for a few days, it’s best to season each portion individually so that the vegetables don’t go soft.
Would you like to try this recipe at home?
As you can see, it’s not only delicious, but it also has interesting health benefits. So, don’t hesitate to include it in your lunches or dinners, you’ll love it!