Does your skin look dull and feel like it needs some pampering? In that case, try some of the following exfoliants made with brown sugar.
Sugar is one of the most used ingredients when it comes to making exfoliants because it is easy on sensitive skin, including our face. Also, it easily eliminates any kind of residue, which cleanses our pores and helps the regeneration of our cells.
Regardless of your skin type, the following brown sugar exfoliants will give you incredible results.
You can forget about black heads and dry skin, so what are you waiting for?
What kind of sugar should you use?
You can find all kinds of different sugars in the supermarket, but not all of them will work for these exfoliants. As we indicated in the title of this article, we recommend that you use brown sugar.
If you don’t have it in the house, you can replace it with any other kind of sugar, as long as it is granulated. Remember that as sugar is refined, it loses its caramel color, so try to avoid the very white options.
1. Brown sugar and lemon citric exfoliant
The first brown sugar exfoliant that we want to share with you is perfect for eliminating dark spots around your neck, elbows and knees.
It can also help you brighten your skin, but you should be careful to stay out of the sun for at least 48 hours after exfoliating.
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (30 g)
- Combine the two ingredients and store the mixture.
- After washing and rinsing with soap, take the exfoliant and apply it using circular motions.
- Rinse with warm water.
After drying yourself off, use your regular hydrating cream. If you notice that your skin is drier than usual, use a bit more cream or a small amount of olive oil.
2. Sugar and green tea exfoliant
Green tea has incredible antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Because of that, we recommend that you use this option if you have pimples, stretch marks or wrinkles.
You can use this exfoliant all over your body or just in the areas where you have the previous mentioned problems. If you want to add an extra aroma, use a few drops of an essential oil of your choice.
- 1 cup of cold green tea (250 ml)
- 1 cup of brown sugar (200 g)
- Combine the two ingredients, be sure to dissolve any lumps in the sugar.
- Keep in a glass container and use it when you shower, after rinsing off your soap.
3. Exfoliant with blackberry, coconut and brown sugar
Can you think of anything more exciting and fun than blackberries? The truth is that they taste delicious and they help you both inside and out.
Blackberries are rich in vitamins and antioxidants that fight free radicals and they keep you looking younger for a longer period of time. Coconut oil increases the amount of antioxidants and keeps your skin smooth.
We recommend that you apply this exfoliant to any areas where you have wrinkles or scars. In no time, your skin will look more even and the marks will be less visible.
- 1o frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (100 g)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (100 g)
- Crush the blackberries in a bowl until you have a paste.
- Add the sugar and oil and mix all three ingredients.
- When you have a uniform paste, put it is a glass container with a lid and use it to exfoliate in the shower.
4. Brown sugar and matcha tea exfoliating cubes
These cubes are perfect for getting antioxidants, cleansing your skin and giving your skin a delicious scent.
You can use it in place of your regular body soap, and it is perfect for those with sensitive skin that reacts to normal commercial soaps.
- 200 grams of basic soap
- 2 tablespoons of matcha tea powder (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of almond oil (15 g)
- 2 tablespoons of coffee powder (30 g)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar (100 g)
- Melt the soap following the supplier’s instructions
- Once it has liquefied, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cube tray, or into whichever mold that you would like.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours and then remove the soap from the molds. You can keep them in cellophane bags or in soft, colorless paper.
Recommendations when using brown sugar exfoliants
All of these exfoliants are very soft and apt for every skin type. However, there are some precautions that you should take in order to really get all of their benefits.
- Always use natural ingredients. Ideally, you want to use products that you can trust and that you know are high quality. This means buying fresh fruits and avoiding processed ones.
- Keep your exfoliants in glass containers. Glass jars keep the best characteristics of your exfoliants intact. Plastic containers, on the other hand, alter some elements as a result of the heat that is generated when it comes in contact with some oils.
- Keep your exfoliants in a fresh place. Since they contain infusions, fruits and oils, it is important that you keep them fresh at all times.
Just look for a dry place that doesn’t get any sunlight. If you live in a very hot place, you can keep the jar in the fridge, as long as the top is on tightly.