Five Remedies to Soothe a Scratchy Throat Fast
A scratchy throat can be caused by allergies or respiratory diseases. While it's important to determine its cause, some natural remedies can help soothe it fast.
Having a scratchy throat is uncomfortable and can hinder common actions such as eating. While it’s usually a mild and sporadic symptom, you should treat it to avoid complications.
The properties in certain ingredients help soften the tissues in this area to reduce burning and itching. In fact, some have antibacterial and antiviral properties that help soothe it fast.
We’ll take a look at them in this article.
The Causes of a Scratchy Throat
Allergens or the flu and colds are the main causes of a scratchy throat.
In most cases, a scratchy throat is a manifestation of allergies or respiratory diseases. Constant exposure to allergens or pathogens triggers an immune response, which leads to that discomfort that’s accompanied by burning and discomfort.
The most common triggers include:
- Animal dander
- Foods such as peanut butter, dairy products, or strawberries
- Cleaning chemical particles
- Cosmetics and perfumes
- Tobacco smoke
- Viruses and bacteria (such as those that cause a common cold or strep throat)
Discover: 3 Natural Solutions for a Sore Throat
Remedies to Soothe a Scratchy Throat
Treatment for a scratchy throat can vary depending on its cause. If it’s caused by a viral or bacterial infection, it’s best to consult a doctor. However, regardless of the type of trigger, some natural remedies can help.
They can soften tissue and reduce the presence of allergens and harmful microorganisms. In addition, they boost your immune system and generate a greater sense of relief.
Talk to your doctor before taking them if you’re under any pharmacological treatment.
Honey boosts your immune response and relieves cough and a scratchy throat.
It’s one of the best natural remedies to soothe a scratchy throat. Due to its moisturizing and restorative properties, it relieves burning in this area. It even helps relieve coughing, which can cause a scratchy throat.
How to Use it
- The first option is to consume a teaspoon of honey every three hours.
- Another way to reap its benefits is by adding it to hot water or a cup of tea.
- It can also be combined with crushed garlic to enhance its effect.
2. Gargling with Salt Water
A traditional remedy for a scratchy throat is gargling with salt water. Thanks to its antibacterial effect, salt water helps fight bacteria in the throat. It also relieves pain and excessive secretions caused by certain infections.
How to Do it
- First, mix half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Gargle with this mixture for two to three minutes.
- Repeat the treatment every three hours until you feel an improvement.
3. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is a natural painkiller that can help treat various ailments. In fact, it’s been used since ancient times as a medicinal supplement. This plant contains anti-inflammatory properties to relieve a scratchy throat caused by colds and the flu.
In addition, some studies have suggested that inhaling chamomile essential oils may help relieve cold symptoms, including sore throat. Drinking chamomile tea has the same effects.
How to Drink it
- The first thing you have to do is pour a tablespoon of chamomile flowers in a cup of hot water.
- When the tea is warm, strain and drink.
- Repeat the treatment until you feel better. You can drink this tea two to three times a day.
Make sure you read: Easy, Useful, and Natural Chamomile Remedies
4. Licorice Root
Licorice root is a natural remedy to soothe a scratchy throat. Although this plant has other applications, it’s commonly used to reduce irritation and burning. Some studies have shown that it’s effective when combined with water to create a gargling remedy.
How to Use it
- Pour a teaspoon of licorice root into half a cup of boiling water.
- When it’s cooled a bit, strain it.
- Finally, gargle with it for two to three minutes
- Repeat until you feel relief.
Mint has effective properties against colds and the flu and also promotes mucus clearance.
Both mint tea and oil may help soothe a scratchy throat. This ingredient has an active compound called menthol, which helps soothe irritation in the lining of the throat. In addition, it dilutes mucus and soothes the discomfort.
Mint also has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties that help fight infections. It also helps treat flu, cold, and allergy symptoms.
How to Use it
- The first option is to add a handful of mint leaves to a cup of boiling water.
- Let the infusion stand, strain, and drink it warm.
- If you want, combine mint essential oil with olive or coconut oil. Massage this mixture onto your neck and chest. Avoid ingesting essential oils.
Is your throat scratchy? Try these remedies and say goodbye to that uncomfortable irritation! However, don’t forget to consult your doctor if the symptom persists or worsens.