Fight Lice Successfully with These 5 Home Remedies
Lice are small parasites that colonize in your scalp. This is where they easily reproduce and survive by drinking your blood. They make your whole head itch and are difficult to get rid of, but there are some great home remedies that fight lice.
You might like: Four Vinegar-based Remedies to Naturally Combat Head Lice
Lice are usually contracted through direct contact with infected people. You can also get them by using the same headwear or other articles of clothing as an infected person.
As you can imagine, their presence is considered unhygienic. This is the case even though having lice has nothing to do with hygiene or taking care of your hair.
The big problem is that lice are very annoying. They reproduce easily and quickly, therefore causing skin problems including lumps and recurring or constant itchiness.
Fortunately, there are many natural home remedies to fight lice and nits (eggs). After being applied, they control these problems while helping to get rid of them. In this article, we want to tell you about 5 natural remedies to help fight lice.
If you or a family member ever suffer from lice, give these treatments a try!
Garlic has sulfur compounds and a penetrating odor. These qualities make it a great natural substance to fight lice. Its ingredients are easily absorbed into your scalp. In addition, it also fights fungus and bacteria.
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Crush the cloves of garlic until you have a thick paste.
- Then, mix it with the lemon juice.
- Separate your hair into sections. Spread the solution onto your scalp and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rub the solution over all of your hair to make sure the affected area is covered.
- After 30 minutes, rinse and use your regular shampoo to wash your hair.
- Repeat this treatment three times per week.
2. Olive oil
Olive oil makes a great solution for eliminating lice and nits. This is because of both its oily texture and its antioxidant compounds.
Applying it fights lice and the inflammation caused by these insects. It also alleviates itching and excessive dryness.
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil until it reaches a temperature warm enough to put on your scalp.
- Then, mix it with lemon juice and rub it all over your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let it work all night.
- In the morning, remove the nits with a fine-tooth comb and wash your hair with an herbal shampoo.
- Use this treatment every day until you are free of lice.
You might like: 6 Health Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is not only a lubricant but it’s also anti-parasitic and antibacterial. Together these properties help fight lice and nits.
Using coconut oil prevents these nasty bugs from reproducing. It also controls the inflammation and reddening of your skin.
- 6 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary oil
- First, mix the coconut oil with the rosemary oil and heat it in a double boiler.
- Then, rub it all over your hair and scalp and massage it well for several minutes.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and let it work for 6 to 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- The next day, remove the insects with a fine-tooth comb. Then, wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
- Repeat the treatment at least three times per week.
4. Sesame seed oil
Using it on your skin removes nits and fights itching. If that wasn’t enough, it leaves your hair shiny and strong.
- 6 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil
- Mix the two oils and rub them on your scalp with a gentle massage.
- Be sure to cover all of the infected areas. Let it work for two hours then rinse it off.
- Don’t forget to use a fine-tooth comb to remove the lice.
- Use this treatment once to twice a week.
5. Lavender essential oil
Lavender oil smells wonderful and is also antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Both of these work to fight lice and nits by stopping them from reproducing in your hair. Using lavender oil helps eliminate the presence of these insects and reduce the damage they cause to your scalp.
- 1 tablespoon of essential lavender oil
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Mix together the essential lavender oil and the olive oil. Rub this mixture all over your hair with a gentle massage.
- Let sit for at least two hours.
- Comb your hair with a fine-tooth comb, then rinse it out.
- Repeat this treatment until you are free of lice.
Now that you know natural ways to fight lice and nits, get rid of them with these great solutions. While there are many products that fight lice at the pharmacy, many of these contain harsh chemicals, so beware before you buy them.It might interest you...