Are you ever in a bad mood, or feel depressed, or simply have no motivation to do anything? It is likely that you are going through a simple depression and perhaps you do not need medication to get through it. Keep reading to discover some natural remedies that can help you feel much better.
Saint John’s Wort and Ginkgo Biloba
Hypericum perforatum, commonly known as Saint John’s Wort, is used in infusions to help treat simple depression and to control anxiety. Even though its active mechanism is not known, some scientific studies support its use as a natural antidepressant because of its postiive effects of a cheerful state of mind of people using Saint John’s Wort.
There is also scientific evidence in favor of using Ginkgo Biloba to fight depression naturally. A study conducted in 1993 with a group of patients who did not respond well to antidepressant medication had good results when they took 80 mg of Ginkgo Biloba extract three times a day. Apparently, this extract helped increase levels of serotonin in the brain, causing a feeling of well-being.
Foods That Fight Depression
Are you one of those people who decides to attack the refrigerator when you feel down? Certain foods may be useful to lift your spirits. The following are good options:
- Bananas – When blood sugar is low, people tend to be in a bad mood and have negative thoughts. Bananas contain a large amount of sugar and tryptophan, a precursor of serotonin, one of the “hormones of happiness”.
- Chocolate – The sugar and cocoa butter present in chocolate help the body more easily absorb tryptophan, favoring the production of serotonin. It also contains phenethylamines that have a stimulating effect on the nervous system. Due to its high calorie content, it is recommended that it be eaten in moderation.
- Nuts and Almonds – These dried fruits contain fatty acids omega-6, omega-3, and polyphenals, which have a very positive effect on neurological tissue. You can eat them any time of day, alone, or en salads.
Change Your Lifestyle to Feel Better
There are many other things you can do to eliminate negative thoughts and to fight depression. Focus on these simple tips that can make you feel much better:
- Move around a bit. Exercise, dance, go for a walk or jog around the park are all excellent natural remedies for depression. Physical activity generates endorphins, substances that work in the brain to make you feel marvelous.
- Outdoor activities. It is proven that direct contact with sunlight augments serotonin levels in the body. Do outdoor activities to get some sun, early in the morning or later in the afternoon, and always taking preventative cautions against the damaging effects of UV rays.
- Laugh as much as possible. Laughter also generates a large amount of endorphins, relaxes you, and eliminates stress. Watch funny movies, go out with friends, and laugh as much as you can, and this will make you feel much better.
We can all pass through depressive states at some point in life. Follow these simple tips to improve your mental state, but if the symptoms do not go away and you feel sad for longer periods of time, it is possible that you are chronically depressed and should immediately consult with your physician.