Masks are a great tool to keep your skin looking great. Their purpose is to eliminate skin impurities, dust particles and contaminants from external sources, like sweat and tallow that the body produces.
It doesn’t matter what kind of skin you have: adding a nighttime facial cleansing routine is essential.
While there are different products like facial cleansers, tonics or creams in stores, you don’t need to spend so much money to take care of your skin.
We’ll show you some mask options that you can make to eliminate skin impurities, as well as some tricks to help their effect.
Cleansing and exfoliation
Some people start their cleansing procedure with soap or milk cleanser and an exfoliator.
The reason is to increase the absorption of nutrients by removing the layer of dead cells, dirt and residual make-up.
As we continue, we will share a cleansing and exfoliating mask that you can use, regardless of your skin type.
Oat and honey exfoliant
- 1/4 cup of oats (38 g)
- 1 teaspoon of honey (7.5 g)
- 2 tablespoons of natural yogurt (40 g)
- Mix the honey and oats in a container. Then, add the natural yogurt.
- Once the ingredients are mixed, apply generously to clean, damp skin.
- Let the mask sit for 15 minutes and the rinse with a lot of water.
Once your skin is clear of imperfections, you can apply different substances or elements according to your skin type.
For oily skin
If you have oily skin, you can use diluted baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda (2 g)
- 2 tablespoons of water (20 ml)
- 1 cotton ball
- Mix the water and baking soda in a container.
- Wet the cotton ball and apply it to the face using ascending circular motions, from the chin to the forehead, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Try to pay special attention to the zones that are most prone to black heads (nose and cheekbones).
- Rinse with cold water to finish the massage.
For dry skin
In the case of having dry skin, you can apply olive oil. This will help to fight conditions caused by changes in temperature and sun exposure.
You can also use avocado oil, wheat germ oil or argon oil, among others.
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil (10 g)
- 1 cotton ball
- With clean skin, after exfoliation, apply the oil with the cotton ball or with the pads of your fingers, making ascending circular motions.
- Let absorb for 3 to 5 minutes and rinse with warm water until the excess is removed.
For normal skin
- 4 tablespoons of cow’s milk (40 ml)
- 3 drops of sunflower oil
- 1 cotton ball
- Add both substances to a container. Once added, moisten the cotton ball.
- Make ascending circular motions and let the mixture absorb into your skin for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water until it is all gone.
After the mask
Generally, purifying masks tend to dry the skin out. It is recommended that you use a damp sponge or glove to remove them.
It isn’t necessary to clean the skin again, in fact, you can leave it like that for the night. However, there are some who prefer to follow their nightly skin care routine.
If you are looking for other alternatives, we will continue by sharing other simple masks and practices that you can apply, even without having exfoliated beforehand.
Clay and cucumber water mask
This mask is focused on cleansing and balancing oily skin.
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 cup of green clay (100 g)
- 7 tablespoons of mineral water (70 ml)
- Take the cucumber and cut into thick pieces. Let sit in a glass of mineral water for thirty minutes.
- In a plastic or wood container, mix the green clay and the cucumber water with a spoon (that isn’t metal).
- Once the ingredients have formed a paste, apply to the face and let the mask sit for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Baking soda and lemon juice
This is a cleansing mask with incredible results. However, because of the effects that lemon and baking soda have on the skin, it is better to apply it at night.
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda (10 g)
- 5 drops of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of mineral water (20 ml)
- Pour all of the ingredients into a container.
- When you have a homogenous liquid, apply to your cleansed face and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and apply a hydrating cream.
Remember that you should be consistent and protect your skin from the sun using a good sun screen and hat to prevent spots.