Eliminate Excess Earwax Naturally
You should never try to eliminate excess earwax with a cotton swab because it could make the condition worse or cause an infection.
Earwax, or cerumen, is a natural substance produced by glands in the ear canal. Its purpose is to lubricate and protect the ear against foreign agents.
Contrary to what many people believe, it’s not a waste product, but your body’s way of defending itself against fungi, viruses, and bacteria.
The problem occurs when the cerumen is produced in excessive amounts and blocks the canal. This can cause discomforts like ringing in your ears, partial hearing loss, and itching.
The most serious problems occur as the direct result of failing to treat it properly and using objects like hairpins, cotton swabs, and even fingers to try to clean the canal out.
It may seem like you’re getting a lot of wax out, but what you’re really doing is pushing the majority of it deeper into the ear canal.
For this reason, it’s essential to know how to properly eliminate excess earwax and prevent further complications.
In this article, we’ll show you the best methods to safely and quickly clean your ears.
1. Saline solution to eliminate excess earwax
A saline solution is one of the best remedies for cleaning your ears. It softens the excess earwax and facilitates its removal.
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1 cotton ball
- Firstly, dissolve the salt in a half cup of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the liquid and use it to put a few drops into your ear.
- Keep your head tilted to the side for three to five minutes to hold the water inside.
- Now, tilt your head to the opposite side and let it drain out.
- Lastly, clean the outside of the ear with a clean cloth to eliminate excess earwax.
2. Olive oil
Olive oil possesses antiseptic properties that reduce the risk of ear infections. It soothes inflammation and helps eliminate excess earwax to clear the ear canal.
- 3 drops of warm olive oil
- 1 dropper
- Warm a little olive oil and apply two or three drops to the affected ear.
- Then, wait for about ten minutes for the wax to soften.
- Now, tilt your head to the side to let the oil and wax drain out.
3. Almond oil
Almond oil is another essential oil that helps eliminate excess earwax. It naturally lubricates the ear canal and removes excess earwax to open the ear canal.
- 5 drops of almond oil
- 1 dropper
- Warm the almond oil and then fill the dropper.
- Apply four to five drops into the blocked ear.
- Keep your head tilted to the side to keep the oil inside the ear.
- Wait for 10 to 15 minutes for the wax to completely soften.
- Now, put a tissue over the ear and turn your head to the side to let the oil drain out.
- Lastly, you can clean any excess with a soft cloth.
4. Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has effervescent properties that soften residues that have accumulated in the ear canal. Its antiseptic properties stop bacterial growth and prevent infections.
- 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1 teaspoon of water
- Combine equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Fill a dropper with the solution and apply 5 drops to the affected ear.
- Let work for 10 minutes with your head tilted to the side, then tilt the other way to let it drain out.
- Remove any excess earwax from the outer ear with a clean cloth.
Want to know more? Read: Hydrogen Peroxide: 12 Reasons to Have It at Home
5. Baby oil to eliminate excess earwax
Baby oil is made with gentle substances that can safely be used to remove earwax.
- 5 drops of baby oil
- 1 dropper
- 1 cotton ball
- Put the baby oil in a dropper and apply two to five drop in the affected ear.
- Place a cotton ball in the ear to keep the oil from leaking out.
- Let work for 5 minutes and then tilt your head to the side to let the oil drain out.
- Clean the outer ear with a soft cloth.
Choose whichever method you think will work best and use it to eliminate excess earwax before it causes a blockage in your ears.
Remember that you should avoid using sharp objects or cotton swabs to clean the ears because they can damage the ear and cause infection.