8 Things Your Fingers Can Tell You About Your Health
Your hands can reveal particular aspects of your personality as well as your health. For example, women whose ring fingers are longer than their index fingers typically are better at sports.
Just like every other part of the body, your fingers play an important role in your life, your health, and your everyday activities. But beyond just being an important tool, your fingers can also reflect your state of general well-being, and you might not even notice it.
Several studies done over the last few years have been able to determine that your fingers do in fact reflect aspects of physical and emotional health, as well as personality and even behavioral characteristics. Since you’ve probably been unaware of the things your fingers have been trying to tell you, in today’s article we’ll discuss eight things that these important digits can reveal about your health.
1. High levels of testosterone
If your index finger is shorter than normal, it’s likely that you have higher testosterone levels – whether you’re male or female. Men nearly always have a shorter index finger than their ring finger, while in women they are typically nearly the same length.
These differences in finger length have been linked to testosterone levels as well as other hormones. Testosterone levels are usually higher in men, and those with unusually high testosterone also tend to have low estrogen levels and a reduced sperm count.
2. Risk of osteoarthritisA study carried out at the University of Nottingham (United Kingdom) was able to determine that people with a shorter index finger have a higher risk of developing problems like osteoarthritis. This has been related to a lack of estrogen and low physical activity, which particularly affects women.
3. Risk of prostate cancer
A study at the University of Warwick (UK) found that men who have an index finger that’s longer than their ring finger are at a higher risk of future prostate cancer.
4. A genetic advantage
If your index finger is much shorter than your ring finger, it might also indicate that you were exposed to high levels of testosterone while in the womb. A study at King’s College (United Kingdom) found that hormone exposure during gestation can influence future behavioral patterns.
5. It could reveal the size of the penisA study conducted by researchers at the University of Gachon (South Korea) found that men who have shorter index fingers relative to their ring fingers have a larger penis size. This study was carried out with a sample of 144 men who were measured while under anesthesia.
6. Evidence of hypothyroidism
A high intake of sodium can cause fluid retention, and is likely to result in temporary swelling of the fingers. This can be eliminated using natural remedies to fight fluid retention. But if your fingers remain swollen for long periods of time, or if this happens a lot, it could indicate a problem with the function of your thyroid. This in turn can slow down your metabolism and result in increased weight and fluid retention.
7. You have excellent skills at sportsResearch has shown that women whose ring fingers are longer than their index have more sports skills than others. They may have more athletic abilities overall, particularly when it comes to running, tennis, and weight lifting.
8. You’re a good businessperson
Further research has found that people who have a longer ring finger tend to be more successful in business ventures. In a study conducted at the University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), researchers determined that financial investors who had a longer ring finger made up to 11 times the profits of their peers. It could be related to higher levels of testosterone.
In addition to caring for the appearance of your hands, remember that your fingers can provide clues about your overall health and personality. Maybe you’ll find this information useful one day in detecting certain problems or concerns, and finding out how to correct them.