Easy Homemade Waldorf Salad Recipe
If you’re reading this, you probably enjoy cooking and are also interested in the best recipes. You may also have a little extra time on your hands considering recent global events…Therefore, making the centuries-old Waldorf salad is probably a fascinating challenge for you!
In this article, we’ll explain the origins of this historic recipe and how to make it step by step. Keep reading!
To be able to talk about how delicious Waldorf salad is, we first need to take you back to the end of the nineteenth century in New York City. This way, you’ll understand where it came from and how it got its fancy name.
The first thing you need to know is what this recipe is about? The truth is that, in the late 1800s, this salad consisted of the following ingredients: sour apples, nuts, white cabbage, lettuce, cream, and some raisins or blue cheese. Over time, the Waldorf salad gained more prestige. It became one of the most popular salads in one of the fanciest hotels in the world: the Waldorf Astoria.
An original recipe and a variation
You must consider that, for this adaptation, we tweaked the recipe that was published a little over a hundred years ago. Today, it’s served in the way you’ll discover below. This is the version you’ll make.
however, to give you some options, we’ll tell you how to make both: the original and adapted versions. All you have to do is follow the instructions. If you skip a step or don’t remember where you left off, you can always go back and make sure you’re doing everything right.
Discover how to make the delicious Waldorf salad
Original Waldorf Salad (1893)
As we mentioned above, this recipe is very old. Few recipes that are this old are as famous and popular as this one. If you’re curious and want to face the challenge of making this salad, below we’ll show all the ingredients and steps to follow.
- 2¼ cups of white celery (250 g)
- 2 red apples
- 1 pear
- 2 tablespoons of shelled walnuts (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons of minced parsley (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (25 g)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest (15 g)
- 3 tablespoons of cream (45 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (30 ml)
- First, wash and separate the celery stalk from the rest of the plant.
- Then, make sure to spray it well with lemon juice.
- Set it aside for two minutes so it soaks up the taste of the juice.
- After that, cut the apples and the pear into thin slices.
- Then, add the fruit slices to the celery and stir a bit. If you want, you can do it with your hands.
- Remove the shells from the walnuts and set aside.
- Then, add the tablespoons of parsley to the celery and fruit mixture.
- Do the same with the walnuts and tablespoon of honey.
- After that, add the cream to the mixture and stir everything until you notice that the ingredients are integrated.
- Finally, serve and enjoy this tasty Waldorf salad.
Waldorf salad recipe (adapted)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise (235 g)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (30 g)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (45 ml)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 small red apples
- 2 medium celery stalks with the leaves
- 1 cup of walnuts (150 g)
Read this article: How To Make Vegan Mayonnaise
- Start by thoroughly washing the celery stalks. Don’t throw the leaves away, as you’ll use them at the end of the recipe.
- Finely chop the celery and set aside.
- Then, cube the apples and pour lemon juice on top so they don’t turn brown.
- After that, cube the nuts into suitable sizes to be eaten.
- Mix the remaining lemon juice with the mayonnaise, salt, and sugar. The idea is for you to get a solid dressing.
- Finally, stir all the ingredients in a bowl and add a touch of the dressing you just made.
- Refrigerate for 40 minutes before serving and garnish with the celery leaves.
We hope you enjoy this delicious and historic salad!It might interest you...