Easy Homemade Orange Cake
Thanks to a yogurt container, you can make this orange cake easily and quickly. Give it a try!
If there’s anything that makes an orange cake stand out, it’s that this is one of the most versatile desserts there are. This is basically because its process allows for many possibilities in regards to flavors and combinations.
Furthermore, sponge cake is such a popular recipe that there are now ways to make it in the microwave in only 5 minutes.
This ease in the process lies in the fact that the cake comes in the shape and size of regular yogurt because it’s similar to a glass, or a yogurt container. For that reason, this cake has more advantages as a dessert. For example:
- It’s a dessert that remains spongy and fresh for several days.
- It can be eaten cold or hot out of the oven when made with chocolate.
Ideally, it should be made in a square or rectangular pan, especially if it’s a specific one for this type of dessert.
Although, as we said before, you can make it in any regular drinking glass. (Of course, keep in mind that the amounts of each ingredient will vary.)
Steps to Make an Orange Sponge Cake
Let’s see how easy it is to make a sponge cake at home in only 5 minutes. And remember, this recipe is suitable for any type of cake.
You’ll just have to substitute the main flavor for one of your choices, that is. In this case, our main flavor is orange, but you can also substitute it for lemon or chocolate, for example.
- One natural yogurt
- 3 eggs
- Flour (3 yogurt containers).
- Sugar (2 yogurt containers).
- 1 large orange
- Olive oil (1 container of yogurt).
- 1 pack of yeast
- Butter for the mold, or wax paper.
- Soft or strong-flavored oil, to your taste.
Baking Orange Sponge Cake
- First, empty the yogurt container. The yogurt container will be your universal measure for the ingredients on this orange sponge cake.
- Then, preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 ºC.
- Next, grate the zest of the orange without adding the white part.
- In a separate bowl, peel the orange and smash it.
- In the same bowl, add the sugar, eggs, yogurt, orange zest, and oil. Blend all the ingredients well.
- It’s now time to add the flour and the yeast. Sift them before you add them.
- Go back to the pan and butter it, either with your finger or with a brush, and line it with wax paper. By doing these two steps we make sure that the cake doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Pour the dough into the buttered and lined pan, place it on the mid rack of the oven and bake at 355 ° F for about 35 minutes. Keep in mind that irregularly shaped pans should be left 5 to 10 minutes longer than square pans.
- After this period, test with a fork or a toothpick to find out if the cake is ready: poke the center of the cake with the fork or toothpick, and if it comes out clean then it’s ready. If it comes out with something stuck to it the cake needs to be cooked further, leave it in the oven for a few more minutes. Repeat if necessary.
- Finally, when the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven. You’ll have to let it cool down a bit before removing it from the mold so that it doesn’t collapse or fall apart.
- Now, the only thing left to do is to try it and enjoy its most excellent flavor.
Discover: 10 Healthy Ways to Eat Lemon
To show off this sponge cake (if you invited a guest), you can top it with candied oranges.
- 1 or 2 oranges
- 4 cups of water.
- 5 cups of sugar.
- To crystallize the oranges, let them sit in four cups of water mixed with five cups of sugar.
- If you want it caramelized, put the oranges in the oven five minutes before removing the orange sponge cake.
As you can see, it’s very easy to make a cake. Remember, you can exchange the orange for chocolate or lemon if you wish. With lemon, you have to follow the same procedure: grate and peel it. With chocolate, you just have to melt in a bain-marie before mixing it to make it easier to use.
You can also add honey to your recipes.