Dying Your Hair with Natural Extracts Is Possible
Dying your hair allows you to change your appearance, give it a more modern look, and hide grey hair, among other possibilities. However, dying your hair usually requires a salon session, since doing it by yourself tends to mean using products that can often be aggressive and harmful to your capillary structure.
But did you know that there are natural extracts that you can use for dying your hair? We don’t mean herbal dyes, but rather dyes that you can make at home from plants, which also nourish and give your hair benefits. We explain what they are and how to make them in this article.
Also Read: The Health Benefits of Plants in Your Home
These products are completely natural, which is why you won’t get the same results as with artificial products. Only those are able to last for a long time or turn your hair into a radical color. However, these will give your hair a pretty and natural color. You can also use them regularly, since they won’t damage your hair. You can even use them for dying your hair during pregnancy.
For dying your hair red
This dye is possibly one of the most well-known among the natural products of this type: henna. Henna dyes your hair to the roots and gives your hair thickness and health. It’s one of the natural solutions that lasts the longest: up to three months.
Mix powdered henna, which you will find in herbal and natural product stores, with a little bit of lemon juice and oil or conditioner so that it doesn’t dry your hair out too much.
Be careful to protect your hands with plastic gloves because the solution can dye your skin.
To Dye Your Hair Blonde
Chamomile is well known for giving lighter tones to your hair and some shampoo brands now include it to strengthen blonde colors. For that reason, you can make a chamomile infusion and add marigold to it. As an option, you can also add in a little bit of saffron. Leave the infusion in place for at least a half hour before rinsing it out.
To Dye Your Hair Brunette
Walnut leaves allow you to give your hair a brunette tone, but they also give it shine and strength. To make it, boil the leaves in water. When it becomes warm, apply the mixture to your hair, letting sit for 15 minutes. Historically, this dye was made by boiling walnut leaves in beer, which is also very beneficial for your hair because it will give it a lot of shine.
Also Read: Egg and Beer Treatment for Silky Hair
Another option is to boil salvia and rosemary in plenty of water for six hours. Some say salvia also has the property of hiding gray hairs. Rosemary is an excellent plant for your hair. It is traditionally used for preventing hair loss. When the infusion gets cold, add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and apply it. Leave it in for a half hour and then rinse.
To Dye Your Hair Black
In this case, prepare a black tea infusion. This will also help you if you want to go back to your natural color after you have dyed it. Make the infusion at a high concentrate and let sit for a half hour. Apply it and let sit for twenty minutes.
A Few Clarifications
- We recommend not using aluminum containers or utensils when making natural dyes
- When you apply it to your hair, try to cover it with a film for better results
- Repeat the process every couple of days until you get the color you want
- The only disadvantage that these dyes have with respect to the artificial variants is that they don’t make your hair as shiny. But you can solve this issue this by apply moisturizing masks frequently and using apple cider vinegar mixed with water in equal parts. The dryer your hair is, the more vinegar you should add. Let sit for a couple of minutes and rinse with warm or cold water.
- We recommend that you always use natural and organic shampoos so that they don’t damage your hair too much and allow the dye to last longer. They are a little more expensive and don’t get too foamy. But in the long run, your hair will be healthier and you won’t have to wash it as much because it will allow your hair to be cleaner for longer.
Images courtesy of miss pupik.It might interest you...