Dry Shampoo: Benefits and How to Use it
Dry shampoo is a product that cleans hair without water. You can use it to clean your hair when you can’t access a conventional bathroom or you simply don’t want to for any reason.
The ingredients in dry shampoo eliminate sebum, impurities, and bad odor that sometimes build up on the scalp. Some people even claim that this product facilitates styling. Dry shampooing could end the need of washing your hair so often and still enjoy clean, shiny, and vigorous locks.
Advantages of using dry shampoo
This product has many benefits, which is why it’s become very popular in recent years. The first benefit is that it cleans your hair fast whenever you need it. Other advantages of using dry shampoo are that it can help you avoid washing your hair too often, as this can over-dry it.
As for hair itself, it makes it look bouncier and more voluminous. Similarly, it makes it more manageable by facilitating styling, without damaging or deteriorating hair follicles if you use it in moderation. This is because it absorbs excess oil that builds up on the scalp.
Dry shampoos are almost always made with eco-friendly ingredients. In fact, you can even make your own homemade dry shampoo with easy-to-find ingredients. There are special formulas for dyed hair that accentuate the desired color if that’s your goal.
Keep reading to learn more: Hair Follicle Infection: 5 Home Remedies
Types of dry shampoos
Before giving you some tips on how to apply this product, you should know that you can find many different types on the market. The most common are the following:
- Powdered. It’s similar to talcum powder. You simply apply it to the roots to remove excess sebum.
- Cream. You must apply it to your entire scalp. It produces a more natural result that also makes styling easier. However, it isn’t a good option for greasy hair.
- Aerosol. Applied to the roots. The spray bottle eases even distribution.
- For dyed hair. It comes with a touch of dye to cover any imperfections or unevenness.
- Eco-friendly. It has natural ingredients that help protect both your hair and the environment.
Read on to learn more: Control Oily Hair with this DIY Dry Shampoo
Recommended application method
The proper procedure for applying this type of shampoo consists of three phases: application, fixation, and brushing. The entire process takes between 15 and 25 minutes. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- If you’re going to use powdered or aerosol dry shampoo, apply it only to the scalp and to areas that look very oily or dirty. If you’re going to use a cream, apply it to your scalp, and then spread it throughout your hair.
- You should spray aerosol dry shampoo from a distance of about six inches from your scalp.
- If you want to make your hair look more voluminous, apply more product at the roots.
- It’s a good idea to move your hair with your fingers as you apply.
- Let the product act for five to 15 minutes, unless the label indicates otherwise.
- After that time, gently massage your scalp and then brush your hair to remove any residue. You can use a hairdryer on the cold setting for this last step.
The best time to apply dry shampoo is before bed. On one hand, it helps to better absorb the sweat that may be produced at night. On the other hand, in the morning, you’ll only have to touch up your hair and brush it as usual.
Can you replace regular shampooing?
Dry shampoos don’t work as a replacement for washing your hair. Yes, they help conceal dirt and make your hair look clean and beautiful. However, it doesn’t provide good hygiene.
This product provides a temporary aesthetic solution but it doesn’t clean hair. Traditional hair washing removes bacteria and balances the scalp’s natural pH, so it’s irreplaceable. It’s best to use this product between regular hair washing.
When it’s advisable to use dry shampoo
We could say that dry shampoo is an excellent option whenever you’re in a hurry or don’t have enough time to fix your hair. It’s an emergency solution that comes in handy in these cases.
For example, it’s also excellent when you have a long trip that doesn’t allow you to clean your hair as you normally would. Likewise, if you have an appointment you must look your best for after hitting the gym.
This type of shampoo is an alternative for those who have oily or dry hair. This is because it allows you to prevent a dirty and deteriorated appearance without having to wash your hair too often. Also, it helps make it look more voluminous and makes styling easier.
Main disadvantages of this hair product
Not everything is positive with dry shampoo. First of all, you should be aware that it isn’t real shampoo, in the strict sense of the word. Therefore, it doesn’t really clean your hair.
Likewise, it’s important to bear in mind that this product, especially in aerosol form, may contain ingredients that damage hair follicles. Particularly, some contain alcohol.
If you use it too often or don’t wash your hair in the conventional way for a long time, your hair follicles may become clogged. This can lead to an infection called folliculitis. It could also cause dandruff or an inflammation such as seborrheic dermatitis.
You have to make sure that the one you use doesn’t contain asbestos. This is a component that many powdered products, such as talcum powder, contains. Long-term exposure to asbestos has been linked to some forms of cancer.
There’s evidence that using these types of products along with a hairdryer is harmful to the scalp, since it dries it out. Thus, to avoid any problems, it’s best to use dry shampoo in moderation.It might interest you...