Do you know why you should include clementines in your diet?
Clementines come from a tree that is smaller than the orange tree. Their characteristics are pulp, fiber, aroma, and tasty juice. Different from oranges, the skin of the clementine is easily removed.
People consume them fresh, and in juice and salads. They are also used in desserts, marmalade, smoothies and in caramel.
They are healthy appetizers, and are mostly composed of water.
In addition, because of their low sugar content, they only have 53 calories in a 4 ounce clementine. Clementines contain fiber and nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, vitamin C, phosphorous, vitamin E, vitamin A, and folate.
As you can see, clementines are are a totally versatile fruit with important nutrients for the body. In this article we give you 6 reasons why you should incorporate them into your diet.
1.Vitamin C content
Clementines, after oranges, are an excellent option for those who would like to consume less sugar. Besides, their flavor and aroma offer variety to the diet to obtain vitamin C.
• The ascorbic acid acts on the numerous functions of the body to prevent cardiovascular illnesses and accelerate the healing of wounds.
• At the same time, it helps maintain bone and teeth health by absorption of iron.
• Also, this vitamin helps in the production of collagen and carotene.
Carotene is a chemical compound that accelerates the oxidation process of fatty acids and the production of energy.
These functions help to control the adipose tissues in the burning of fat at the chemical level.
How do you know if you need to consume vitamin C? Read the following article:
2. Fighting cancer
Free radicals, highly reactive molecules, generate a lethal disorganization in the body cells, due to to poor nutrition, excessive exercise, stress, tobacco, alcohol, and medications, among other causes.
As a result of this process, aging and a series of problems develop in the nervous and cardiovascular systems.
Clementines have vitamin C, vitamin E, carotene and flavonoids. These elements produce a neutralization of the oxidation processes which fights the carcinogenic cells.
In fact, different studies indicate that these vitamins improve the side effects that are produced by chemotherapy and radiation for various types of cancer. (lung, stomach, and prostate, among others).
3. Improves Anemia
Anemia is one of the nutritional problems that is most prevalent in the world.
This occurs due to the low production of hemoglobin in the blood. Hemoglobin is a substance that is in charge of delivering oxygen to the blood.
This process requires nutrients such as iron.
• The vitamin C that we find in clementines facilitates the absorption of iron by way of the gastrointestinal system and supports its mobilization.
• According to different scientific studies, with 25 to 75 mg. of vitamin c, the assimilation of iron in a meal doubles or triples.
• This substance interacts with phytates, nutrient inhibitors, producing less complex insolubles. At the same time it elevates the absorption of iron and improves the anemia.
4. Clementines: Good during pregnancy
Clementines provide folic acid or vitamin B9. This nutrient helps at the cellular level to develop the tissues. It also boosts the formation of red blood cells.
They also participate in the production of nucleic acids and intervene in the development of the nervous system.
• The above functions are especially important during pregnancy and infancy. That’s why this vitamin should not be left out of a healthy and balanced diet.
Do you want to learn more about folic acid?
Read the following article: What is folic acid for?
5. The sweet source of potassium
Potassium is an important macro mineral that allows functions of water regulation in the body. This includes muscles, the nervous system and the kidneys.
In fact, potassium helps to normalize some factors of blood pressure.
In sports, the consumption of potassium is vital because it allows hydration. It also replaces lost minerals from work out sessions. It also reduces the risk of injuries.
The raised content of water and potassium from clementines turns this fruit into an essential fruit to renew glucose and electrolytes and, as a result, have the best physical performance.
6. Combat uric acid and infections
Due to its water content, citric acid, and potassium, clementines produce a diuretic effect and put alkaline in the urine that helps combat infections and helps with the elimination of purines.
Purines, at the same time, are organic compounds, that, in case of over production, generate hyperuricemia and gout. These are caused by deposits of uric acid in the joints and cause pain.
As you can see, clementines have multiple extraordinary properties that are beneficial to the health. Are you going to include clementines in your diet?