Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) is one of the most common plants used in ancient health and beauty remedies in many different countries. This aromatic plant is beneficial for many conditions. The benefits of rosemary make it a vital ingredient in natural cosmetics and useful for cleaning the home.
In ancient times, rosemary was also symbolic. As well as being a general cleanser, it was related to luck, honesty, and good faith.
This plant is very rich in active ingredients. Its main nutrients are vitamins A, B2, B6, and C, and it contains minerals iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorous, and calcium. It also contains a lot of antioxidants.
The leaves can be used either fresh or dry, and you can also use the flowers. In this article, we’ll tell you about the many uses and benefits of rosemary.
The Benefits of Rosemary
Rosemary is an aromatic bush that grows in many parts of the world. Since antiquity, people have used rosemary as a medicinal herb to treat a wide range of ailments.
Two of the main properties of rosemary are that it helps to improve memory and alleviate respiratory problems.
Its main cosmetic properties are thanks to its anti-oxidant content and anti-inflammatory compounds, which can improve the health of your skin in many ways.
- These substances stimulate blood flow, particularly in the lower part of the body, minimising the appearance of varicose veins, cellulite, and stretch marks.
- Rosemary essential oil works as a natural toner, tightening loose skin.
You can apply it in massages to boost the lymphatic processes. These are what help remove toxins and liquids, which are the main contributor to the formation of skin nodules.
In general, it works to improve circulation and helps keep your skin tight and smooth.
- Rosemary contains high levels of caffeic and rosmarinic acid. These have powerful anti-oxidant effects.
- Its oil boosts hair growth by increasing blood circulation.
- Rosemary inhibits the formation of dangerous bacteria in in vitro culture, which suggests that it could be used in cases of food poisoning.
- Rosemary extract is used in aromatherapy for the treatment of anxiety, improving state of mind, changing the feeling of pain, and increasing alertness.
- Many studies have shown that it reduces stress levels.
- Inhaling essence of rosemary improves mental performance. It helps your brain process information quicker and more efficiently.
Before using it, you should check with your doctor that you’re not allergic to rosemary.
For anyone who suffers from alopecia, or who want to prevent increased hair-loss in spring or autumn, rosemary is a natural solution.
As we’ve already mentioned, it’s great for blood circulation and, as a result, it’s a good natural treatment for speeding up hair growth.
- 3 tablespoons of dry rosemary leaves (45 g)
- 2 cups of water (500 ml)
- First, pour the water into a pan and bring to the boil.
- When it reaches a boil, turn off the heat and add the rosemary.
- Then, cover the pan and leave it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Apply the infusion to your scalp and massage with your fingertips.
- Finally, rinse your hair well with plenty of water.
Rosemary for Firming Your Skin
For decades, people have used rosemary to have young, firm, rosy skin. It’s an excellent toner, and therefore a good remedy for addressing loose, pale, or wrinkly skin.
This natural facial toner also works quickly if you’re looking a bit tired. It’s perfect for using in the morning.
- 6 tablespoons of rosemary (90 g)
- 1 cup of white wine (250 ml)
- Pour the wine into a container with a lid.
- Then, add the rosemary (you can include the flowers as well as the leaves), and leave it to sit for 10 days in a cool place.
- After this time, you can apply it directly to your face, massaging with your fingertips.
This aromatic plant is regularly used in cooking and makes an excellent condiment. It goes particularly well with meats and sauces. Because of its strong and delicious flavor, it’s become one of the most used spices in cooking.
The benefits of rosemary are numerous. Always keep some on hand and enjoy all the properties and uses it has to offer!