Discover the Incredible Benefits of Apricots
There are multiple benefits of apricots but be sure to buy organic products to avoid any chemical consumption
Apricots stand out for their high content of antioxidants. That’s why the benefits of apricots are believed to help maintain beauty and youth, while also giving you lots of energy in just a few bites.
In today’s article, find out all the benefits of this fruit along with some applications and curious details. We’ll share the different ways you can eat apricots: plain, as a puree, dried, or in jams.
Banafits of Apricots
The apricot, or damask fruit (Prunus armeniaca) is native to China. Today, they mostly product it in Turkey.
Among its many nutritional values are beta-carotene or vitamin A (what gives it the orange pigment), and minerals like iron and potassium. Apricots are also very rich in natural sugars and fiber.
We always recommend consuming organic apricots as the commercial varieties can contain a lot of pesticides and other chemicals in the peel. If you buy organic, you can consume it without worry, because it will be rich in nutrients only.
Read also: The benefits of feeding babies fruit puree
The Hunza village
The Hunza are indigenous people from the Himalaya who are known for their longevity and quality of life. Their diet, which is vegetarian, includes a very special place for apricots – both fresh and dried.
Apricots are consumed by the Hunza year round. It’s common for families to have their own apricot trees, which is a symbol of great wealth. In addition to eating the fruit, they extract oil from the seeds that is used for cooking, lighting, and skin care.
It should be noted, however, that stress and environmental pollutants unfortunately contribute to health problems among this population.
The health benefits of apricots
Apricots have the following benefits for your health:
- Thanks to their beta-carotene content, there are lots of antioxidants in apricots. This will help prevent the aging process that’s caused by free radicals.
- Antioxidants are also a great way to prevent degenerative disease.
- They have anti-inflammatory effects that help reduce discomfort and pain.
- Apricots can help prevent many eye disorders, such as retinal degeneration, night blindness, and loss of vision.
- The high iron content, especially in dried apricots, make them an excellent treatment for anemia.
- Apricots contain potassium, which fights fluid retention that causes swelling.
- Plus, they also reduce high blood pressure.
- This fruit improves digestion and prevents constipation.
- Thanks to the high sugar and fiber content, apricots are a healthy solution to avoid sweet cravings. Three apricots will help alleviate hunger cravings.
- They help prevent leg cramps.
- They balance your nervous system and induce a calm state when you have stress or anxiety.
- Finally, apricots help regulate high cholesterol levels.
In addition to the many health benefits, this fruit has other uses and applications:
- Apricot oil is very beneficial for your skin, just like almond oil.
- The seed of the fruit is rich in vitamin A. This antioxidant makes it useful for certain eye or intestinal disorders, and is a well known ingredient in many natural cosmetic products.
- A famous Italian liqueur known as amaretto is made from apricot pits.
- However, we should point out that apricot pits contain certain toxic compounds, so you can’t eat them.
- In addition, remember to consume ripe apricots only to prevent indigestion.
See also: How to make lemon essential oil
How should you eat them?
- All natural: Apricots are an appetizing fruit that you can snack on anytime and anywhere.
- In addition, you can also add them to smoothies to get that characteristic and delicious flavor with a little acidity.
- In jams and marmalades: You can cook apricots with a little water and sugar to get a delicious jam to spread on toast, yogurt, and cookies.
- Dried: Dried apricots are a superfood that’s rich in nutrients, sugars, and fiber. Naturally, they provide a lot of energy and are ideal for children, athletes, and more.
- However, those who are overweight should limit their consumption.