Discover the Indian Diet to Lose Weight
There are many kinds of weight loss diets out there. The problem is that some of them aren’t balanced and aren’t good for your body. That’s why you have to be very careful about which one you choose. In this article, we’ll tell you about the Indian diet, which is based on ancient Indian traditions.
You might like: These Four Weight Loss Mistakes are Holding You Back
What is the Indian diet?
When you see the word “diet,” you probably immediately think of restrictions and off-limit foods. However, it doesn’t have to be like that.
When it comes to Indian food, you’ll be using ingredients from a culture that is thousands of years old. This kind of food is based on not mixing proteins with carbohydrates in the same dish, for example.
Basically, the Indian diet includes brown rice, a lot of vegetables, and some fruit (oranges, apples, lemons, and grapefruit).
- It’s recommended to eat 3 meals a day, plus a snack if you’re hungry. This snack should be fruit or low-fat yogurt.
- Another great idea also a good idea to chew your food well (around 100 times) to help your digestion and move food through your stomach more quickly.
- It’s essential to drink 2 liters of water and unsweetened green tea during the day.
- Lastly, don’t forget about physical activity: a 40-minute walk is ideal.
The Indian Diet: Pros and Cons
Many people turn to the Indian diet when they want to lose weight. After all, you can lose up to an estimated 9 pounds in two weeks.
However, the downside to this diet is that it can get a little monotonous, it requires a lot of self-control, and it’s not allowed for people with hypertension.
In addition, it should last no more than 15 days, since it does not provide your body with important vitamins like A, B12, and D, or minerals like iron and calcium.
The most important aspect of this diet is its food combinations. For example, you could eat lasagna or pasta with vegetables, omelets with onions and tomatoes, rice with vegetables, red meat (but not cow meat) with a salad, etc.
Rice is the base of the Indian diet. To flavor it, you can use different herbs and typical spices from the country: cardamom, curry, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, or saffron.
These spices also will increase your body temperature and help you burn more fat.
Examples of Meals in the Indian diet
For those of you who like to cook and don’t want to get bored while following the Indian diet, we’ll suggest some typical dishes from this culture that are great for weight loss.
This way, your eating plan won’t seem monotonous or restrictive.
Aloo Gobi recipe
Next, this is a very traditional vegetarian dish prepared with potato, cabbage, basil, and onion. It contains a good amount of turmeric.
This is a spice that helps satisfy your hunger but may cause gas.
- 2 potatoes
- 1/4 cabbage
- 3 onions
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of garlic and ginger paste (30 g)
- 3 tablespoons of paprika (30 g)
- 2 tablespoons of:
- turmeric (20 g)
- powdered cumin (20 g)
- powdered coriander (20 g)
- Olive oil and salt, to taste
- Cumin seeds (optional), to garnish
- First, peel the potatoes and chop into large cubes. Chop the cabbage as well.
- Then, sauté both with olive oil for 20 minutes.
- Next, peel and julienne the onions. Then, slice the tomatoes.
- In another pan, sauté the onions and add the garlic and ginger paste along with the spices (paprika, turmeric, cumin, and coriander).
- After, add the potatoes and cabbage. You can add a bit of water if it’s too thick.
- Serve with the tomatoes and cumin seeds.
Chicken Tandoor Masala recipe
This is a great choice to get in some protein and control your appetite. However, don’t leave the skin on the chicken, since it contains fat.
The flavor comes from a mixture of spices called tandoori masala (found in powder form), which includes chili pepper, cumin, paprika, garlic, ginger, and cilantro.
- 1 container of natural yogurt (200 g)
- A tablespoon of tandoori masala (20 g)
- A whole chicken (without the skin)
- 1 onion
- 1 lemon
- First, mix the yogurt with the tandoori masala in a container.
- Then, chop the chicken and place it on a greased baking pan.
- Next, spread the yogurt and spice mixture on top.
- After, let marinate for two hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven. Meanwhile, julienne the onion and slice the lemon.
- Then, bake until the chicken is golden outside and cooked inside.
Principal image courtesy of wikiHow.comIt might interest you...