Delicious Chinese Style Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
With this sweet and sour chicken recipe, you'll be able to enjoy delicious Chinese food in the comfort of your home.
This Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken is one of the most popular Chinese recipes due to how delicious it is. The best part is that you can make it at home. All you have to do is follow our simple tips. The recipe is easier, healthier, and more practical than you could have ever thought.
People tend to believe that Chinese food is somewhat greasy and of low-quality. However, this isn’t the case. In addition to the soy sauce and pieces of chicken, you’ll have to combine many ingredients to achieve the taste, texture, and traditional seasoning of Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken.
Chinese-Style Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 3 boneless chicken breast fillets (600 g)
- 1 cup of green pepper (120 g)
- 1 cup of pineapple slices (150 g)
- 2 small, chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon of ginger powder (15 g)
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch (10 g)
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce (45 ml)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 egg (60 g)
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of salt (15 g)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (30 ml)
You should also read: Try This Recipe for Chinese Rice with Chicken and Honey
- The first thing you have to do is prepare the sauce. It’s the key to this recipe.
- Add the following ingredients to a frying pan: ketchup, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, brown sugar, and salt and put it on medium heat.
- Stir and let the liquid evaporate slowly until it reaches an adequate consistency.
- Now it’s time to prepare the chicken.
- Cut the chicken breast fillets into cubes, chop the garlic cloves, and chop the onions. Don’t forget to do the same with the green peppers.
- Then, marinate the chicken by adding all the previous ingredients to a bowl along with the egg, an extra touch of soy sauce (to taste), a tablespoon of rice vinegar, and the cornflour.
- Mix everything well.
- Add the vegetable oil to another frying pan and fry the seasoned chicken pieces until they brown on both sides.
- Use another frying pan to sauté the chicken with the onion, ginger, garlic, and green peppers.
- After a few minutes, add the pineapple, lower the heat, and sauté for more two minutes.
- Finally, add the chicken sauce you made at the beginning.
Tips to Improve the Seasoning of Your Sweet and Sour Chicken
Part of the secret to this sweet and sour chicken recipe is that you must pay special attention to two fundamental elements: the soy sauce and the cooking method.
This ingredient is an essential part of Oriental food, so much so that it’d be strange to imagine a Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken without it. Consequently, during the preparation of the chicken breasts, you should marinate them for a few minutes beforehand with plenty of soy sauce and a touch of vinegar.
- Marinating the breasts for a few minutes will intensify their flavor.
- Similarly, there are people who recommend adding Worcestershire sauce to this marinade, but in less proportion than the soy sauce.
Regarding the Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken, you should also let the chicken breast fillets dry a bit.
- Consequently, you should lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid.
- This way, the marinade will impregnate each of the chicken fillets.
We hope you enjoy this great recipe!