Delicious Meat-stuffed Eggplant Recipe
Meat-stuffed eggplant is a simple and delicious recipe you can prepare in advance or freeze, then bake whenever you get hungry.
With this recipe, you can make some delicious stuffed eggplants to enjoy this nutritious vegetable in a different way. It’s the perfect dinner dish! You can even freeze it after making it and eat it a few days later.
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 medium eggplants
- 1 medium onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ cups of minced pork meat (300 g)
- 1 ½ cups of minced beef (300 g)
- 2 cups of chopped tomatoes (500 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme (5 g)
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary (5 g)
- ¼ cup of white or whole wheat flour (30 g)
- ¼ cup of butter (70 g)
- 4 cups of whole milk (1 liter)
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg (5 g)
- ½ cup of grated cheese (100 g)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
Check out this article too: 7 Reasons You Should Eat More Eggplant
- Below are the steps to making this delicious recipe:
- First, cut the eggplants’ stems in half lengthwise and make some superficial cuts to each eggplant half, without making contact with the skin.
- Then, make a few cuts, first lengthwise and then crosswise in order to make a “grid”.
- Afterwards, place them on a baking tray, add some oil to the eggplant, and put them into an oven preheated to 180°C. Bake the eggplants for about 20 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, take them out of the oven and wait for them to cool off a bit. Then, with a spoon, scoop out the flesh while keeping the skin intact. Since its partially baked, it will come off easily.
- To begin preparing the eggplant stuffing, use a large frying pan to heat some olive oil over low heat.
- Once hot, add the finely chopped garlic cloves, onion, and red pepper. Add salt and pepper and let cook for about 15 minutes while stirring frequently.
- After 15 minutes, add the eggplant flesh, pork, and beef. With the help of a wooden spoon, crumble the meat so the pieces aren’t so big and to integrate them with the other ingredients. Cook for two or three minutes, until the meat doesn’t look raw (turns brown).
- Then, add the crushed tomatoes and the teaspoons of thyme and rosemary. These two spices go great with the dish, but you can replace them with others, like oregano.
- Mix and integrate all the ingredients and then let them cook over low heat for about 30 minutes. Once all the water from the minced meat and tomato has evaporated, the stuffing is ready.
Read this article too: 10 Health Benefits of Eggplants
- As the water evaporates, prepare the béchamel sauce to cover the stuffed eggplants. In another pot, heat the butter (you can substitute it with olive oil), and, add the flour once the butter is melted.
- Mix and toast the flour for about 3 minutes. After this time, add the milk gradually. Add a glass of milk (about 200 ml) and mix until blended with the flour. Afterwards, add another glass and re-integrate.
- Repeat this step until all the milk evaporates and it becomes a slightly thick béchamel sauce. Then, add a teaspoon of nutmeg and set the sauce aside.
- At this point, all you have to do is stuff the eggplants. Take the eggplant skins and stuff them with the mixture.
- You can add as much stuffing as you want. Then you can pour the béchamel sauce on top.
- Finally, sprinkle with grated cheese and put them in the oven again at 200°C.
- Place them in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese melts. Now enjoy!