Try This Delicious Recipe for Homemade Guacamole
This homemade guacamole recipe is made out of avocados and other great, healthy ingredients combined with chili peppers, onions, coriander, and more.
This Mexican dip is well-known worldwide and many people enjoy its delicious taste daily. It’s so popular you can buy it ready-to-go at supermarkets.
The health benefits of guacamole
Let’s begin by mentioning some of the benefits of this nutritious and colorful delicacy.
First of all, it’s important to remember that guacamole is high in calories due to the fats in avocados. For example, one cup contains 240 to 270 calories.
However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t eat it. In reality, the fat that comes from avocados is very healthy for the body (as long as it’s in moderation.)
Plus, there are countless other benefits!
- Avocados are high in fiber. A quarter cup provides around 3 grams of fiber. This is important for controlling your appetite, maintaining correct sugar levels, and digestion.
- The vitamin A in guacamole helps keep your immune system strong and your skin healthy. A quarter of a cup contains approximately 85 IU of vitamin A.
- One portion contains 3 grams of polyunsaturated fats and 1 gram of monounsaturated fat. This makes it a really good food for your heart. Therefore, eating guacamole reduces the risk of heart problems.
- Avocado fats also help absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and help you feel full longer.
- Avocados are high in nutrients. This means your body will feel more satisfied with the right portion. This will prevent you from satisfying your hunger with unhealthy high-calorie foods.
After seeing some of the health benefits from this delicious side-dish, let’s share our tasty homemade guacamole recipe. It’s so easy you’ll want to go and get the ingredients immediately!
How to eat guacamole
Guacamole is ideal to along with several salad dishes. It’s really common to eat with nachos or tortilla chips, but you can also enjoy it on toast. It doesn’t matter how you eat it…You can even have it with salads, sandwiches or soups.
Almost any type of starter goes well with guacamole. Try it with crisps, tortillas, pretzels, biscuits, vegetable sticks, chicken, cheese, fish, prawns…The list keeps on going!
Ingredients for homemade guacamole
This Mexican dip actually comes in different versions, usually depending on the region it comes from. This is expected since avocado is found almost everywhere. There are other ingredients which are more local and not so widespread.
This recipe is a more well rounded one:
- 1 chilli pepper
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 onion (60 g)
- 4 ripe avocados (80 g)
- Fresh, picked coriander, without the stalks (to taste)
- 1 squeezed lime (45 ml)
- 1 medium-size tomato (30 g)
How to make it
- After washing the ingredients thoroughly, dice the tomato and onion. Then do the same with the coriander.
- Put these ingredients into a bowl where you will prepare the guacamole. Use a stone mortar if you have one.
- Make sure the avocados are ripe enough. Cut them in half and remove the pit.
- Use a spoon to scrape off all the flesh and put it into the bowl.
- Add lime juice, a pinch of salt, and the chili pepper to give your guacamole a bit of spice.
- Using a spoon or a mortar, mash all the ingredients to mix them all together.
Traditionally, guacamole has small avocado chunks, so don’t mash it too much. However, if you like it more creamy you can blend it with a food processor.
If you don’t finish the whole bowl of guacamole, you can put it in an airtight container inside the fridge for a couple of days.It might interest you...