Eating Less Grains Can Help You Lose Weight
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. At all hours of the day we eat grain-based foods bread, pastries, and pasta. We like them because they’re quick and satisfying. But eating too much of them can be bad for your weight. In this article, we’re going talk about how eating less grains can actually help you lose weight and bring overall health benefits.
We eat too many grains
A balanced diet requires a proportional amount of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Carbohydrates include fruits, vegetables, starches, and grains. The problem is that eat too much grain and not enough vegetables. Throughout the dead, we mostly eat bread, pizza, pasta, rice, pastries, etc…
Why do grains make us gain weight?
Our body really does need grains because they provide long-lasting energy, especially if they’re whole grains. The problem is when you eat grains in excess or at night, because you don’t actually use that energy and it builds up in the form of fat deposits. So, if you start eating less grains, it could help you lose weight.
Most grains have gluten: wheat, oats, rye, spelt, etc., although they don’t all contain the same amount. But there are also some that don’t have any, like rice, corn, buckwheat, and oats, but only if they’re pure and haven’t come into contact with other grains during their processing.
Nowadays many people suffer from a certain amount of gluten intolerance, but that’s not the same as a gluten allergy or celiac disease. People with celiac have an immediate allergic reaction, whereas someone with a gluten intolerance doesn’t experience symptoms right away.
Instead, they suffer over time from health problems unrelated to celiac. The intolerance means they don’t digest gluten properly, which can create issues with things like weight. When gluten intolerant people eliminate gluten from their diets, they quickly notice a change for the better and can lose weight more easily.
Other symptoms of gluten intolerance:
- Recurring constipation and diarrhea
- Poor digestion
- Skin problems
- Menstrual problems
- Obesity and weight gain
If you suspect that you suffer from gluten intolerance you should consult a doctor, who will likely recommend the necessary tests to verify this.
How to start eating less grains so than you can lose weight
Further down, we’re going to give you some ideas on how you can eat less grains with great substitutes–it’s an excellent way to cut down your consumption and help yourself lose weight.
- There are kitchen appliances that allow you to make vegetable spaghetti, with ingredients like zucchini. With this appliance, you can convert a plain plate of vegetables into a fake but delicious plate of pasta. Best of all, you can still put tomato sauce, cheese, and oregano on top.
You might like:
- You might be surprised how many different kinds of vegetables you can use to make biscuits. There’s even one you can make with vegetables and chocolate you. To do it, you substitute flour with vegetable flour or cooked and blended vegetables. The results will provide a tasty surprise for your family!
- People with a gluten intolerance can experience huge benefits if they completely eliminate gluten and replace it it with gluten-free flours made from things like like rice, corn, or chickpeas. You can use them just like you would a normal flour to make bread, biscuits, pizza, pancakes, etc.
- Bread is the hardest thing to replace, since it’s the base of the diet in many cultures. You can start by reducing your intake, and substitute it little by little you with similar foods that have flour.
- You can also learn to make seed-based toast (sage, flax, and sunflower). Grind the seeds, mix them in a little water to make a paste, and bake in a dish at 120C (250F) for 30 minutes until it has a crunchy texture.
Images courtesy of tzejen, xavi talleda, and michelle@TNS.It might interest you...