Control Oily Hair with this DIY Dry Shampoo
Add this great natural recipe to your beauty routine and say goodbye to an oily scalp. You can also take it to the gym or your work place!
Are you a fan of the blow drier? In order to avoid further damage to your hair, it’s best not to wash it every day. Nevertheless, this might leave you with a greasy scalp. The answer? This super easy DIY dry shampoo!
Using ingredients you probably already have in the house, you’ll be able to make your own dry shampoo with ease. No more dirty hair!
Why you’d want to use dry shampoo
For a healthier scalp, it’s best not to wash it every day. Soap depletes your scalp of its natural oils. In turn, this makes your sebaceous glands work twice as hard, making your scalp produce even more oil. Add to that a bit of sweat, and it’s done: you’ll be left with unsightly, greasy hair that needs to be washed. It’s a vicious circle!
By letting at least a couple of days go by between washings, you let your scalp regulate itself. Eventually, your scalp will lower its sebum production. Nevertheless, after a couple of days, even the most-balanced of scalps starts looking greasy. Here’s where dry shampoo comes in.
Dry shampoo is a mixture that helps fight these problems without any special rinse. It’s a good alternative when you don’t want to wet your hair yet your tresses still need a pick-me-up.
These are a great help for hair beauty. They’re perfect for those who want to control their scalp’s production of oil. Plus, you don’t have to get your hair wet every day!
Nevertheless, most dry shampoos are filled with chemicals. If you’d rather skip the extra ingredients, here’s an easy DIY dry shampoo recipe you can do at home, without a fuss!
What is dry shampoo?
Before we begin preparing, let’s clarify what dry shampoo does to your hair.
In the first place, it takes care of your hair by avoiding excessive washing. Some brands even have nutrients that will help your scalp rebalance your natural pH level. In turn, this controls your sweat gland activity.
Dry shampoo also helps with styling. By applying it to your scalp you can increase your hair’s volume, making it look healthy, shiny, and free from frizz.
On the other hand, it also has anti-fungal and antibacterial substances. According to researchers, by using these ingredients in your scalp you’re helping to create a protective barrier against dandruff and other common scalp infections.
Curious? Read more: 5 Herbal Lotions to Treat Dandruff Naturally
Even though it’s designed for those with oily hair, it can also be used by people with normal hair. This is especially true for those days that you don’t want to wash your hair like normal.
Finally, its ingredients deodorize your hair. As a result, they prevent the appearance of bad odors after exercising or a very hot day.
All-natural DIY dry shampoo
This tried and true DIY dry shampoo recipe is cheaper than store-bought versions and can work better if you have a dry scalp. This is because it doesn’t have any strong chemicals. Plus, its ingredients can be easily found.
Even though these are all natural ingredients if you have a sensitive scalp you’d better try it in a little spot before actually using it. Although controversial, sensitive scalps do exist and can show strong reactions to certain components. Thus, researchers strongly indicate you should do a small patch test beforehand.
You can use this great shampoo occasionally. For instance, it would be a good option for those days where you don’t have enough time to wash your hair, or after sweating at the gym.
- 6 tablespoons of corn starch
- 6 tablespoons of rice flour
- 3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 10 drops of liquid coconut oil
- 10 drops of essential mint oil
- 1 mason jar
- Add the corn starch to the mason jar and mix in the rice flour and baking soda.
- Shake it vigorously so that the ingredients mix well.
- Then, add the coconut oil and essential mint oil drops. Continue shaking it.
- Be sure that the ingredients are uniformly mixed. After that, you can use it.
- If you want, you can decorate the jar so you can put it in your cosmetic bag.
How to use
- When using it, stand in front of a mirror. Separate your hair in several locks. Sprinkle a little bit of the dry shampoo on. Make sure to cover your whole scalp.
- Use your fingers to rub the powder on the roots of your hair. Use smooth, circular movements that encourage its absorption.
- Then, apply it to the points of your hair. Always use moderate amounts to avoid white patches in your hair.
- Let the shampoo work for 5 or 10 minutes. After this time, use a brush to remove the rest of the white powder.
- You’ll immediately feel fresh, loose, and oil-free hair.
- On the other hand, because of the oils, you’ll have nice-smelling hair all day long!
Add this DIY dry shampoo preparation to your beauty routine and say goodbye to an oily scalp.