Combat Nasal Congestion with These 5 Natural Remedies
Are you suffering from a cold or the flu? Try any of these 5 natural remedies to help fight your nasal congestion and recover faster.
Nasal congestion is a symptom caused by inflammation and the obstruction of the nose ducts due to an excess production of mucus.
It normally appears with respiratory problems like the flu or the common cold. However, it can also appear due to allergies.
Nasal congestion prevents oxygen from passing into the lungs. Naturally, this makes it difficult to breathe. In addition, it’s accompanied by thick, annoying phlegm in the nose.
So far, a wide variety of treatments has been developed to keep this under control while relieving the condition that causes it.
However, there are also many natural remedies that produce similar effects without causing undesired side effects.
Today, we want to tell you about five of these natural remedies.
1. Eucalyptus leaves
The natural extracts of eucalyptus leaves have an antihistamine and anti-inflammatory effect that helps reduce nasal congestion.
Using them as part of a steam therapy helps to clear the airways and eliminate the excess mucus that causes this symptom.
- 6 eucalyptus leaves
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- First, add several eucalyptus leaves in a pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Then, when it boils, inhale the vapors, covering your head with a towel.
- Repeat the treatment every night before bed to relieve congestion.
2. Honey and apple cider vinegar
The combination of honey and apple cider vinegar is a natural treatment that helps fight viruses and bacteria that affect respiratory health.
Both concentrate anti-inflammatory, analgesic and decongestant properties that help to alleviate the discomfort caused by the flu and the common cold.
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (10 ml)
- Honey (1 tablespoon/25 g)
- 1 cup of warm water (200 ml)
- First, add the apple cider vinegar and honey to a glass of warm water and stir until they’re well dissolved.
- After they’ve dissolved, drink the mixture on an empty stomach.
- Repeat this every day until the problem clears up.
3. Garlic and turmeric
The antibiotic and anti-inflammatory agents of garlic have been used as part of the treatment of nasal congestion since ancient times.
These properties, added to the great benefits of turmeric, help strengthen your immune system for rapid relief from respiratory problems.
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder (2 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- First, bring the water to boil.
- When it boils, add the minced garlic and turmeric powder.
- Then, lower the heat let the mixture stand and strain it before drinking it.
- Drink half a cup a day for three or four days.
4. Basil leaves
The refreshing and antibacterial properties of basil are an effective solution against the agents that block the respiratory passages.
It has a slight expectorant effect that promotes the elimination of phlegm in the nose.
Furthermore, it deflates the bronchi and helps restore the oxygenation process.
- 6 basil leaves
1 cup of water (250 ml)
- First, put the basil leaves in a cup of boiling water. Let them soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then, strain the infusion and drink the mixture up to three times a day.
- Alternatively, you can chew four basil leaves in the morning and before bedtime.
5. Ginger and lemon
Finally, the classic ginger and lemon infusion remains one of the best treatments for relieving the airways and lungs.
Ginger contains an active substance known as gingerol. This has an antiviral and anti-inflammatory effect. In turn, it has vitamins and minerals that improve immune function in the presence of germs.
Furthermore, consuming this spice supports the elimination of phlegm and soothes irritation.
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger (5 g)
- Water (1 cup/250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (5 ml)
- Honey (1 tablespoon/25 g)
- First, stir the fresh ginger into a cup of hot water.
- Then, mix it with the lemon juice and honey.
- Drink two cups of this infusion a day for a week.
Keep in mind that these natural remedies can act in different ways for eat person. It all depends on the severity of the congestion.
Besides taking these natural remedies, you should also drink lots of water and eat healthy.