Chickpea and Spinach Stew
Do you think of big stews and heavy digestions when you imagine stew? Well, with this recipe for a chickpea stew with spinach, we’ll convince you that this isn’t always the case.
A simple and easy to prepare a dish that isn’t at all too filling and can be eaten often. In addition, stews are traditional dishes that comfort and nourish at the same time.
Find out how to make it below!
Vegetable and legume stews
The importance of incorporating legumes in the daily diet is becoming more and more important. They’re a very nutritious food and we must eat them more often. Unfortunately, a large part of the population doesn’t eat them in the recommended amounts.
They can be prepared in many presentations to have more variety. Stews and casseroles are classic recipes and each region usually has its most typical dishes. However, nowadays the lack of time or the fear of saturated fats has been taking them away from many menus.
The chickpea stew with spinach is relatively easy to cook in a short time, especially if you use canned chickpeas. In addition, you can take advantage of a free afternoon to prepare more portions and keep them in the fridge or freezer.
Discover: What Is Batch Cooking?
Chickpea and spinach stew
In this recipe, legumes and vegetables are combined in equal parts, resulting in a healthy and light dish. Ready to learn how to make it? Don’t forget the bread to soak the delicious sauce.
Ingredients needed to prepare 4 servings
- 14 ounces (400 grams) of cooked chickpeas
- 7 ounces (200 grams) of spinach
- 3 or 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small onion
- 4 or 5 spoonfuls of tomato sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 stock cube (optional)
- Black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
Step by step
- To start, peel and dice the onion and fry it in a pan with olive oil. When it begins to brown, add the tomato sauce. Allow to reduce and set aside.
- Next, in another pan sauté the garlic and the spinach, well cleaned and chopped. As soon as they acquire a darker green color, remove from the heat.
- Prepare a casserole to cook the chickpea stew. Pour the sofrito of onion and tomato, and add about 350 milliliters of water. Then add the chickpeas (well drained if they’re canned). Then add salt and pepper to taste and, if desired, a stock cube.
- After 5 minutes, add the spinach and cook everything together for 5 more minutes. If the stew is too dry, add a little more water.
- After this time, turn off the heat and add the hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half. Cover and let stand for a moment so that the eggs acquire the flavor of the sauce. Your delicious, healthy dish is ready to be served!
A second option to prepare the recipe of chickpeas with spinach
Another way to cook this dish faster, but with the same flavor. A complete alternative and suitable for a vegan diet because this time no eggs or any other ingredient of animal origin are added.
Ingredients for 2 servings
- Half an onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of water
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach
- 7 ounces (200 grams) of cooked or canned chickpeas
- Salt and extra virgin olive oil
How to prepare it
- Peel and chop the garlic and onion finely. Then, fry them with a little olive oil in a pot or casserole. Leave between 3 and 4 minutes over low heat.
- At the same time, wash and drain the spinach bundles and add them to the pan. Sauté for two minutes.
- Next, pour in the cooked chickpeas and sauté for several minutes. Then, cover all the ingredients with the water, add salt and pepper and cover. After that, cook over low heat, as this way all the flavors will combine.
- Lastly, if you have prepared or frozen vegetable broth, you can replace it with water. The function is the same and the dish will have much more flavor.
- After 20 minutes, it’s ready to eat!
To give a more pronounced touch of flavor, add other ingredients to the stir-fry. For example, try celery, bell pepper, zucchini or leek, and experiment with spices, among which sweet paprika and bay leaf are worth mentioning.
Learn more about: Five Spinach Smoothies that Promote Weight Loss
Chickpea stew with spinach: another dish to eat legumes
This recipe is an excellent opportunity to incorporate legumes into the diet.
They’re also healthy from a nutritional and health point of view as scientists have observed that they help to reduce the incidence of some chronic diseases. However, that’s not all, since limiting the intake of animal protein and replacing part of it with more vegetable protein is positive at an environmental level.
If you don’t have time to cook it, you can leave it prepared the day before or have some portions in the freezer. In fact, it’s almost better because over the hours the flavors settle and the broth becomes thicker.
Although it’s not a particularly difficult recipe, it can be even easier if you use frozen spinach and canned chickpeas. And in the case of not having these two ingredients, you can vary and use cabbage, chard, lentils or beans.
More interesting facts about chickpea and spinach stew
If you have problems when eating legumes (bad digestion or gas), you can reduce the amount of chickpeas and add a little more vegetables. Seasoning the dish with cumin, bay leaf, or fennel can help reduce flatulence.
Therefore, it’s a complete dish to which there’s no need to add anything more than a yogurt or a piece of fruit as dessert. Well, alright… maybe a good slice of bread can go with it!It might interest you...