Chicken Au Gratin with Mushrooms Recipe
This article today will introduce you to a delicious recipe for chicken au gratin with mushrooms. It will be delicious and creamy — a wonderful temptation!
Chicken au gratin with mushrooms is the perfect dish for lunch or dinner any day. Since the sauce is somewhat thick, it can be rich, so it may not be the best for people with digestion issues. However, the chicken and mushrooms contain nutrients that make it a good part of a balanced diet.
Chicken au gratin
- Black pepper
- 1/2 onion (30 g)
- 2 garlic cloves (6 g)
- 1 cup of milk (240 ml)
- 4 chicken breasts (600 g)
- 6 to 10 mushrooms (150 g)
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts (70 g)
- 1/2 cup of cream (120 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of mushroom soup powder (10 g)
You may also be interested in this recipe:
Washing the mushrooms
First of all, if you use fresh mushrooms the end result will taste much better and more like it were made from scratch. But the disadvantage is that you’ll have to clean the mushrooms thoroughly before cooking them.
Generally speaking, mushrooms are meaty but delicate, so you shouldn’t put them directly under the faucet. That could make them lose their special texture. Instead, it’s best to cut the stems off and place them in a bowl filled with water.
Move them around and then strain. Once they’re somewhat dry, rub them with a moist toothbrush. Brush each one gently until all of the dirt is gone and then put them in water again.
Next, you’ll move them around again, strain them, and cut them up. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top to keep them from turning dark, and then you’re ready to use them in your recipe.
It takes time to thoroughly wash mushrooms, but not as much time as you would expect. It’s worth it though, because the flavor will be much better than canned mushrooms.
- To continue, mix the mushroom powder with the milk and stir until well-mixed.
- Then heat the cream on very low heat. Once it begins to steam, add the milk mixture to it, stir, and heat. Before it begins to boil, remove from heat and stir again.
- Slice the onion finely and mince the garlic.
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, just until the onion starts to turn golden.
- Then add the black pepper (to taste) and keep sauteing for another 3 minutes.
- Next, reduce the heat to low and add the sliced mushrooms. Let them cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then pour in the cream and milk mixture and continue stirring on low heat.
- Finally, add the chicken breasts and cover. Let everything cook for around 2 minutes. The chicken will absorb the flavor of the mushrooms, sauce, and onion, but won’t cook all the way.
- Now put everything in a casserole dish and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes on 350ºF.
Take a look at this article too:
Alternate instructions with canned mushrooms
As a time-saving alternative, you can use a canned mushrooms instead of fresh ones. This way you won’t have to clean them each one by one; they’ll be ready to go.
All you have to do is open the can and slice the mushrooms. Then add them to the pan at the same point in the recipe as the fresh mushrooms. This option will make it easier, but the flavor won’t be the same.
Enjoy your chicken au gratin with mushrooms alongside a side dish of rice or creamy vegetable soup (carrot, potato, sweet potato, etc). They go great together!