Chicken Au Gratin with Mushrooms Recipe
The nutritional properties of its ingredients make this chicken au gratin recipe with mushrooms an excellent dish that contributes to a balanced diet.
Would you like to learn how to make delicious chicken au gratin with mushrooms? If you’re looking for a different option to surprise your family for lunch or dinner, this is a great choice. The chicken and mushrooms contain nutrients that promote wellness. In addition, it’s very easy to make.
How to make chicken au gratin with mushrooms
Consuming white meat, such as chicken, is recommended to maintain a healthy and balanced diet. In this regard, recent studies, such as this one published in Food & Nutrition Research, highlight its relevance to human nutrition, as it’s a source of protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals.
Meanwhile, mushrooms are a good complement to this food, not only due to their delicious taste but also due to the fact that it’s low in calories and rich in nutrients. According to data from the journal Nutrition Today, they contain potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin D, and calcium.
Keep in mind that the nutritional quality of these foods may vary depending on their preparation. For this reason, it’s important to opt for healthy preparations. Below, we share an alternative that you can enjoy on a special occasion. Take note!
- 1/2 onion (30 g)
- 2 garlic cloves (6 g)
- 1 cup of milk (240 ml)
- 4 chicken breasts (600 g)
- 6 to 10 mushrooms (150 g)
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts (70 g)
- 1/2 cup of cream (120 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of mushroom soup powder (10 g)
- Black pepper
You should also read: Quinoa Risotto with Mushrooms Chicken and Leeks
Washing the mushrooms
First of all, using fresh mushrooms will result in a tastier dish with a special touch. But the disadvantage is that you’ll have to clean the mushrooms thoroughly before cooking them.
- Generally speaking, mushrooms are meaty but delicate. Thus, you shouldn’t put them directly under the faucet. That could make them lose their special texture. Instead, it’s best to cut the stems off and place them in a bowl filled with water.
- Move them around and then strain.
- Once they’re somewhat dry, scrub them with a moist toothbrush. Brush each one gently until all of the dirt is gone and then put them in the water again.
- Next, strain them again to remove all the water and cut them up. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top to keep the slices from turning dark. Then, you’re ready to use them in your recipe.
It takes time to thoroughly wash mushrooms, but not as much time as you would expect. It’s worth doing it because the flavor will be much better than if you used canned mushrooms.
- To continue, mix the mushroom powder with the milk and stir until well-mixed.
- Then, heat the cream on very low heat. Once it begins to steam, add the milk mixture to it, stir, and heat. Before it begins to boil, remove from heat and stir again.
- Slice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Sauteé the onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, just until the onion starts to turn golden.
- Then, add the black pepper (to taste) and keep sauteéing for another three minutes.
- Next, reduce the heat to low and add the sliced mushrooms. Let them cook for about 10 minutes.
- Then, pour in the cream and milk mixture and continue stirring on low heat.
- Finally, add the chicken breasts and cover. Let everything cook for approximately two minutes.
- The chicken will absorb the flavor of the mushrooms, sauce, and onion but won’t cook all the way.
- Now put everything in a casserole dish and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350ºF. You can control the desired doneness as the chicken and walnuts brown.
Take a look at this article too: Three Ways to Use Mushrooms in Your Recipes
Alternate instructions with canned mushrooms
As a time-saving alternative, you can use canned mushrooms instead of fresh ones. This way you won’t have to clean them each one by one; they’ll be ready to go.
All you have to do is open the can and slice the mushrooms. Then, add them to the pan at the same point in the recipe as the fresh mushrooms. Although this option will make this dish easier to make, the flavor won’t be the same.
No matter what option you chose to make this recipe, enjoy your chicken au gratin with mushrooms alongside a side dish of rice or creamy vegetable soup (carrot, potato, sweet potato, etc). They go great together!