Cheese and Coconut Rolls, a Very Simple and Gluten-free Recipe
There are more and more people who suffer from intolerance to wheat or gluten without having celiac disease. That's why we'd like to give you some great, gluten-free recipes!
Many people are looking for gluten-free recipes, especially different types of bread, as they are not usually easy to make. However, these cheese and coconut rolls are a very simple recipe that is totally free of this protein.
Discover in this article how to prepare delicious and juicy cheese and coconut rolls.
Who should eat a gluten-free diet?
People with celiac disease can not consume any food that contains gluten or anything that may have been contaminated with trace amounts. Depending on the sensitivity of the person, this could affect them to a greater or lesser extent.
However, there are people who suffer more and more intolerance to wheat or gluten without being celiac, which is why they choose to eliminate this protein from their diet. These rolls are a delicious, simple and healthy option to replace wheat bread with a gluten-free alternative.
Cheese and coconut rolls
Discover the ingredients and the steps you must follow to prepare these simple and quick cheese and coconut rolls.
To prepare the cheese and coconut rolls you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups cassava starch or yucca (360 g)
- 1 cup grated coconut (80 g)
- 1 piece of tender or melting cheese (250 g)
- ½ cup of sunflower, olive, or coconut oil (110 g)
- 1 cup of coconut or rice milk (200 ml)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (10 g)
Before starting to cook, we want to make some clarifications:
- These rolls do not require any type of yeast, since cassava starch has the ability to raise the bread. The secret is in the control of the oven temperature.
- Cassava or yucca is a very common tuber in many Latin American countries. However, in several supermarkets around the world, we can find the powdered starch we need for this recipe. Sometimes we can see that there are two types: the sweet and the sour, in which case we will use the first one.
- If we want this recipe to be free of lactose we can substitute the cheese for 2 more cups of shredded coconut (160 g).
- We can also add some spices to taste, such as smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, etc.
- This recipe is very easy to prepare, since it is not necessary to knead or let the dough ferment. For our convenience, the fastest method will be through a blender, in which we will mix all the ingredients.
To prepare these cheese and coconut rolls we will follow these steps:
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius, only with the bottom tray. This step is essential for the loaves to rise from the first moment we introduce them.
- The first ingredient that we will beat will be the eggs.
- Next, we will add oil, milk and salt in this order. We will beat well.
- We will incorporate the chopped cheese so that it can also be crushed well.
- Finally, we will gradually add the grated coconut and manioc starch or cassava until all the ingredients are well beaten and integrated.
- The result must be a fairly liquid dough that may surprise us. However, this must be the case for the rolls to bake well.
- We will put the dough in individual molds, for example, those of muffins. We recommend using silicone molds that we have smeared before in oil.
- We will put the molds into the oven and let bake at 210 degrees Celsius on the bottom tray for 20 minutes. In this time, we will be able to see, without opening the oven, how the rolls inflate quickly.
- Then we will activate only the top tray and bake for 20 more minutes. This step is essential to toast the top of the loaves and that they do not sink when removed.
- When removing the molds from the oven, we will separate each roll from the mold so that they do not become moist. We will let them cool a little, although we recommend eating them freshly made.
If the rolls are well made and baked they should be round and empty inside. We can eat them like this, or, fill them with what we want.