Can an Apple a Day Protect You from Obesity?
Green apples help restore metabolic balance. They're rich in fiber and, thanks to their polyphenol content, they fight obesity and help control your weight.
An apple a day. We’ve all heard that at one time or another; few things are as healthy for our diets. But can apples really help us avoid obesity? If so, what kind of apples? We’ll explain it all below.
Apples: faithful protectors of our health
There are a lot of good reasons for including apples in your diet. An apple a day is essential for your health. As you already know, this tantalizing fruit can do wonders:
- It’s hydrating, yet diuretic to avoid fluid retention.
- Reduces blood pressure thanks to its potassium content.
- Provides plenty of fiber, especially if eaten raw with the peel.
- The pectin it contains protects the intestines.
- An apple – and its peel – help prevent certain types of cancer, like that of the colon.
- Its phytochemicals protect against diabetes and reduce cholesterol.
Nutritionists recommended consuming apples with the peel, as this is where the pectin and essential phytochemicals are most concentrated. Now we know apples are great in a lot of ways, but how can they help us fight obesity and those few extra pounds we gain from time to time?
Granny Smith Apples and Their Fat-Fighting Benefits
In order to prevent obesity, not just any apple will do, the best variety is known as Granny Smith — flavorful green apples with a slight acidic taste that compliments many foods well. The study that arrived at this conclusion was conducted by a group of scientists at Washington State University. The purpose of the study was to find the best variety for preventing weight gain.
Why are Granny Smith apples so much better than other varieties? What’s their secret? The experts gave us the answers to these questions in an issue of “Food Chemisty” along with a few other facts to keep in mind:
- Granny Smith apples contain indigestible compounds that prevent disorders associated with obesity. This variety is richer in polyphenols, dietary fiber and carbohydrates.
- This type of apple also encourages the growth of so-called “good” bacteria, that protect the colon from toxins and help digest fats.
- Granny Smiths are more medicinal and healthier than varieties like Golden Delicious, Fuji, Gala, Red Delcious or Braeburn. They’re richer in polyphenols and indigestible compounds that help control weight gain and obesity.
- The good bacteria in the colon help us lose weight, which makes this type of apple a true growth factor for good bacteria. They’re so healthy and restore metabolic balance. Inflammation will disappear, and you’ll experience an increased sense of satiety and avoid weight gain. A natural wonder available to us all.
Don’t wait! Start eating an apple a day… and make sure they’re Granny Smith’s!