Can an Apple a Day Protect You from Obesity?
Green apples help restore metabolic balance. They're rich in fiber and, thanks to their polyphenol content, they fight obesity and help control your weight.
An apple a day. We’ve all heard that saying so many times, and how they can “keep the doctor away”. They certainly are healthy, but can they help us avoid obesity? And, if so, which kind of apples are best? We’ll explain everything below!
An apple a day to protect your health
There are a lot of good reasons for including apples in your diet. An apple a day is essential for your health. As you already know, this tantalizing fruit can do wonders:
- It’s hydrating, yet diuretic to avoid fluid retention
- It can reduce blood pressure thanks to its potassium content
- An apple provides plenty of fiber, especially if eaten raw with the peel
- The pectin it contains protects the intestines
- An apple – and its peel – can help prevent certain types of cancer, like that of the colon
- Its phytochemicals help to protect against diabetes and reduce cholesterol
Nutritionists recommend consuming apples with the peel, as this is where the pectin and essential phytochemicals are most concentrated. Now we know apples are great in a lot of ways, but how can they help us fight obesity and those few extra pounds we gain from time to time?
Read more: Apple Peels Help You Lose Weight
Granny Smith apples and their fat-fighting benefits
In order to prevent obesity, not just any apple will do. The best variety is known as Granny Smith — flavorful green apples with a slight acidic taste that are a great compliment for many foods. The study that arrived at this conclusion was conducted by a group of scientists at Washington State University. The purpose of the study was to find the best variety for preventing weight gain.
Why are Granny Smith apples so much better than other varieties? What’s their secret? The experts gave us the answers to these questions in an issue of “Food Chemistry” along with a few other facts to keep in mind:
- Granny Smith apples contain indigestible compounds that prevent disorders associated with obesity. This variety is also richer in polyphenols, dietary fiber and carbohydrates.
- This type of apple also encourages the growth of so-called “good” bacteria, that protect the colon from toxins and help digest fats.
- Granny Smiths are more medicinal and healthier than varieties like Golden Delicious, Fuji, Gala, Red Delicious or Braeburn. They’re richer in polyphenols and indigestible compounds that help control weight gain and obesity.
- The good bacteria in the colon help us lose weight, which makes this type of apple a true growth factor for good bacteria. They’re so healthy and restore metabolic balance. Inflammation will greatly improve, and you’ll experience an increased sense of satiety and avoid weight gain. A natural wonder available to us all.
See also: Amazing Detox Diet to Cleanse Your Colon
Don’t wait! Start eating an apple a day… and make sure they’re Granny Smiths!