Build a Shoe Stand with These Two Basic Materials
Whether it is to sell, for a garage sale, or even to put them in your own home as a decorative item and organizer, these shoe stands are practical and beautiful. Are you interested in learning how to build a shoe stand with just a few materials?
There are various shapes, sizes and structures. Shoe stands are not only useful to display merchandise, but they can be an important decorative element in your home, even if you opt for the smallest.
The enormous variety of ideas that we have at our disposal makes the option of building them on your own totally viable. With two simple basic materials, like wood and cardboard, you can make your own stands in just a few steps.
How to Build Wooden Shoe Stands
1. Build a traditional shoe stand
The first option we’ll list is one of the simplest. It’s a great idea for small spaces or for people who like practicality.
Of course, you must have various pieces of wood to successfully build this version plus certain carpentry items such as screws and a screwdriver. It will also be useful if you can get some help.
The number of boards will depend on how many shelves or levels you want to build. The length, on the other hand, will depend on the measurements of the space where you’d like to put it. As for the width, we recommend about 25 centimeters to fit all kinds of shoes.
- Once you have the wood, the first thing will be to cut rectangles for the supports. Place these vertically to create the necessary separation between each shelf.
- The supports should be placed about 5 or 6 centimeters from the ends of the wood. In turn, these rectangles will then serve to divide the shelves from each other. This is a great strategy to create multi-level stands.
- Instead of aligning the vertical supports, it’s recommended that you keep a few centimeters of difference between the placement of each from level to level.
- The process to attach them is simple: screw two screws vertically into each piece. To make it look more beautiful, don’t line the vertical boards up, but rather keep a few centimeters of difference between them.
This “untidiness” will not affect the stability of the furniture and will give it a very attractive aesthetic effect.
Discover: Four Easy Home Decoration Crafts
2. Build a shoe stand from crates
Did you know that wooden crates, like those used for vegetables, have many uses besides their original purpose?
One of these is that you can recycle them to create shoe stands solely by stacking them.
The process for doing this is very simple:
- First, get the crates ready. That is to say, rub them with sandpaper to get rid of the roughness, add nails where necessary in order to reinforce them, and paint them with spray paint or varnish in the color that you want. Tip: If you leave some areas unpainted, you will achieve a very nice rustic effect.
- Then, bring them to the place where you will have the stand. If they fit well and you like the stand as it is, proceed to put silicone on the ends to attach them and keep them from falling when you use them.
- You can even add a little on the back so that they are fastened to the wall.
Another recommendation: To achieve a nice and not so homogeneous structure, you can place some boxes vertically and others horizontally. To make up the space from the verticals, it’s a good idea to add boards to divide them and make an additional shelf.
Read this article: How to Make Your Own DIY Bookshelf at Home
Build a Shoe Stand from Cardboard
In addition to the foolproof wood, cardboard can also be very versatile for this type of construction. This stand will be made up of several small pyramidal structures. All together, they will make spaces where shoes fit individually.
You will need:
- Some broken-down cardboard boxes,
- Cut newspapers,
- Glue and tape.
Then, follow these steps:
- Cut the cardboard into 45 × 30 centimeter rectangles.
- Make two folds lengthwise, separated by 15 centimeters from each other and from the closest edge.
- Join the ends with silicone to form a triangle and secure the joint using tape. Make the quantity you deem necessary.
- Cut out another cardboard triangle big enough to cover all the triangles placed next to each other. Remember that the width should be 30 centimeters.
- When you have all the levels you want, attach the triangles and also the bases with silicone.
- Finally, make a mixture of equal parts glue and water and use it to glue the pieces of newspaper over all the cardboard.
- Let dry for a couple of days and, as a final touch, paint and varnish it in the color you want. You can also leave the newspaper visible; it looks fantastic
As you can see, you can build a shoe stand very easily with just a few objects. If you don’t have them at home or if even if you do, you can quickly make them anywhere. Don’t wait any longer and start building to give them the use you want!It might interest you...