Brown Rice Salad: Delicious and Low-Cal
Brown rice salad is a low-calorie dish that can accompany your lunch or dinner. Given the interesting combination of ingredients, it’s a healthy option for recharging energy and nutrients while caring for your figure. Want to try it?
There are many different ways to enjoy this type of food on a regular basis. And this salad is one of the best alternatives, as it’s full of ingredients that are low in calories and high in essential nutrients. What’s more, it’s light and easy to prepare.
Why make brown rice salad?
Brown rice is a healthier option than white rice because it’s less processed. It’s a whole grain, meaning it maintains its bran, allowing it to retain important nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. What’s more, it also contains more dietary fiber and protein.
Brown rice is an important source of folates, riboflavin (vitamin B2), potassium, and calcium. In fact, it also contains high quantities of manganese. This mineral is essential for important processes in our bodies, including bone development, the healing of wounds, and nerve function.
Want another delicious recipe?: Cholesterol-Friendly Rice with Vegetables and Chia Seeds
The nutritional properties of brown rice
In case you’re still in doubt regarding the benefits of wholegrain salad, let’s take a minute to go over the precise nutrients it offers. Of course, you need to remember that the nutritional value can vary when you combine it with the other ingredients in your salad.
Each cup of brown rice offers the following:
- Calories: 216
- Carbohydrates: 44 grams (1.8 oz)
- Fiber: 3.5 grams
- Fat: 1.8 grams
- Protein: 5 grams (0.2 oz)
- Thiamine (B1): 12 % of the recommended daily intake (RDI)
- Niacin (B3): 15 % of RDI
- Pyridoxine (B6): 14 % of RDI
- Pantothenic acid (B5): 6 % of RDI
- Iron: 5 % of RDI
- Magnesium: 21 % of RDI
- Fosforos: 16 % of RDI
- Zinc: 8 % of RDI
- Copper: 10 % of RDI
- Manganese: 88 % of RDI
- Selenium: 27 % of RDI
How to prepare brown rice salad
Brown rice salad is an excellent option for those who follow a vegan, vegetarian, or plant-based diet. What’s more, it’s gluten-free. Of course, you don’t have to have any dietary restrictions to make this delicious salad a part of your menu.
One of the best qualities of brown rice is that it’s very versatile. Therefore, we can combine it with ingredients like spinach, radishes, and mushrooms to create a mouthwatering dish. Just follow the recipe below.
- 1 ½ cups of brown rice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
- 3 sliced radishes
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
Discover more: 7 Reasons Why You Should Eat Radishes
- To begin, wash your rice thoroughly and pour it into a saucepan with water and salt.
- Place on medium heat. Once the water begins to boil, reduce heat to a minimum and cover.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat and saute your chopped mushrooms.
- Add salt and pepper to taste in order to bring out the flavor.
- Once the rice is ready, allow it to sit for a few minutes before transferring it to a salad bowl.
- Then, add the sauteed mushrooms along with your sliced radishes.
- Mix well before adding the spinach leaves.
- Finally, garnish your salad with cilantro and sunflower seeds. Add dressing to taste before serving.
Brown rice salad is a healthy, low-calorie option that you can enjoy anytime throughout the day. Given the nutritional quality of its main ingredient, this recipe is ideal for improving the overall quality of your diet. What’s more, its delicious flavor makes it an easy dish for the entire family to enjoy.
And finally, since this salad is gluten-free, it’s the perfect recipe for people with celiac disease or gluten-intolerance. Or if you’re simply looking for a satisfying option to help you lose weight, look no further. What are you waiting for?It might interest you...