The Best Fat Burning Foods
Can you quickly name 10 foods that burn fat? No idea? Well, there are actually a lot of naturally fat-burning fruits and vegetables out there, and if you include them in your diet, they can help you lose weight!
They are also known as “negative-calorie foods” and they have what is known as a high “thermic effect”. In other words, these foods use more calories than others for your body to digest them. This process speeds up your metabolism and therefore a fat burning effect is produced.
The nutrients that are in these foods help to break down fat deposits and they make it easier for the body to eliminate waste. When your body is well-nourished it has a positive effect on your blood sugar levels. Regulating you blood sugar levels is the most effective method of maintaining your body’s ability to burn fat and you won’t feel hungry either.
It won’t happen on its own and we should certainly add at least 30 minutes of physical activity, two or three times a week to our schedule, if we really want to get rid of that little bit extra.
We should incorporate certain foods into every meal in order to ensure we are eating healthily and, together with physical exercise, this is the key to losing the pounds, and best of all, fat.
Foods which help us eat less and burn fat
- Water. Obviously, it isn’t a food, but drinking water helps us get rid of the toxins in our body, hydrates us and promotes good digestion. Water produces a sensation of satiety, which makes us eat less.
- Foods high in fiber. When we eat foods high in fiber, we feel fuller faster and eat less. These foods don’t burn fat but they help us eat less.
- Green tea. This is definitely an ally for dieters who want to lose weight. It burns fat very effectively because it speeds up the metabolism and the caffeine (or theine, which is the same substance) also contributes to burning calories without exercise.
- Vitamin C. Foods such as broccoli, peppers, kiwi, lemon and grapefruit, among others, contain a large amount of vitamin C, which helps us process fats more quickly, so we lose weight faster too.
- Dairy. Foods like yogurt, milk and cheese stop the hormone calcitrol in its tracks, so it can no longer cause us to retain fat.
- Proteins. They promote the growth of muscle tissue, which is essential for losing weight. It’s important to choose proteins (meat, fish, etc.) that is lower in fat because you just won’t get the same results with fatty produce.
Take into account that the consumption of fat burning foods can help a lot, but it’s important to be generally disciplined. In other words, it’s not possible to eat huge amounts and think that drinking green tea will make up for it. These foods normally cause your metabolism to speed up between 3 and 10%, and burn the same amount of extra calories per day.
It can also help to eat foods which lower the appetite, such as those rich in fiber. They can really help you feel full for longer and therefore prevent you from eating as much as usual.
Image courtesy of Balázs