The Amazing Benefits of Egg Whites for Your Skin
Egg whites for the skin can be beneficial, since this food has a good nutritional value (proteins and B vitamins). Surely you’ve heard a grandmother recommend it as an ingredient for homemade masks to make the face “more beautiful” (without impurities, lush and shiny) and to make hair grow healthier and silkier.
Below, we’ll tell you more about the benefits of including egg whites in your commonly used hair treatments. Take note!
What do egg whites provide?
The benefits of egg white for the skin come from its nutritional contribution. According to the Institute for Egg Studies, egg white is mainly composed of water (approximately 88%) and proteins.
Likewise, experts indicate that “eggs contain all the vitamins that humans need, except vitamin C, in relevant proportions. The vitamins are distributed unevenly between the yolk and the white”.
Due to its amino acid, vitamin, and mineral content, egg white is a natural ingredient used to care for, regenerate, and beautify the skin. Therefore, it isn’t surprising that it’s been used for years in beauty routines.
The most interesting thing is that it can be easily combined with other natural ingredients to make more nutritious preparations.
The benefits of egg whites for your skin
According to popular beliefs, egg whites have many benefits for the skin. Keep reading to discover them!
1. Reduce wrinkles
Many believe that the following face mask may contain properties that can help to reduce the appearance of laugh lines around the eyes and mouth. It’s also a great moisturizer, and can help make skin look firmer.
- The whites from one egg.
- 1 tablespoon of wheat flour (10 g)
- 5 tablespoons of honey (25 g)
- First, wash your face thoroughly with warm water and a mild soap.
- Then, place the egg white, flour, and honey in a bowl.
- Mix well to form a sandy paste.
- Distribute evenly over your face, paying particular attention to areas with wrinkles.
- Use circular movements to exfoliate your skin.
- After 10 minutes, rinse with warm water.
- Pat dry gently with a towel.
- To finish, apply a moisturizer.
Discover: The Best DIY Creams for Cracked Heels
2. Moisturize your face
If you combine the natural properties of egg white with a little olive oil and honey, you can create a restorative moisturizing face cream.
- The whites from one egg.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (16 g).
- 5 tablespoons of honey (25 g).
- First, pour the egg whites and olive oil into a bowl.
- Mix them well and add the honey.
- When you have achieved a smooth mixture, wash your face with warm water and a mild soap.
- Apply the mask to face and neck in circular movements.
- Let it work for 10 minutes and wash the area thoroughly with warm water.
- Don’t rub dry. Use gentle pats to avoid irritating your skin.
- If you want, you can use a moisturizer.
3. Reduce bags under your eyes
Although it hasn’t been proven that applying egg (either whole or just the egg white) on the eyelid area and the eye contour helps to “rejuvenate” the area, according to beliefs, it can help reduce the appearance of expression lines and eye bags.
To take advantage of this benefit of egg white, you should apply a mask regularly. You can do it every other day or three times a week (if your dermatologist authorizes it).
- 1 egg white
- Beat the egg white well (it must be slightly thick).
- Then, wash your face with warm water and mild soap.
- With the help of a cotton swab, apply a thin layer of egg around your eyes, paying special attention to your bags.
- Leave the mask for 10 minutes (or until the egg is dry). Then, rinse with lukewarm water.
- Dry very gently, since the skin in this area is quite delicate.
4. Remove impurities
Another benefit of egg white for the skin is that it may help to eliminate, little by little, the amount of impurities on the face (blackheads and pimples, especially). To do this, you should rinse your face with a suitable soap and, once it’s clean and dry, apply an egg white mask.
- 1 egg white.
- Toilet paper or makeup removal pad.
- An old makeup brush.
- First, separate the egg white from the yolk (the latter can be used for other recipes).
- Then, beat the egg white with a fork so that it isn’t so liquid.
- Remove your makeup and wash your face with warm water and mild soap. Gently towel dry.
- Place a piece of toilet paper or a towelette over your nose.
- Then, dip the brush in the egg white and spread the mixture over the paper so that it sticks to your skin.
- Repeat this procedure on your forehead, chin, and cheeks.
- Allow it to dry completely (approximately 30 minutes).
- Then, carefully remove each strip of paper.
- Wash with warm water and soap to remove any paper residue.
- Finally, apply a moisturizing cream.
5. Improve eyelid health
Just as it’s said that applying egg could help reduce the signs of aging in the eyelid area, it could also prevent the appearance of the first wrinkles.
- 1 egg white.
- 1 cotton swab.
- First, separate the egg white from the yolk and beat the egg white until it’s fluffy.
- Then, wash your face thoroughly to remove dirt and makeup.
- Soak the swab in the egg white and apply gently to your eyelids.
- Work outwards, starting near the nose.
- Allow to dry for 15 minutes and remove with lukewarm water.
- Repeat every other day. This should always be done at night, before going to sleep.
6. Exfoliating and removing spots
This recipe is ideal for removing impurities, as well as reducing the appearance of sun spots. Use this treatment at night, once a week.
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (20 ml)
- 1/2 tablespoon honey (12.5 g)
- First, place the egg white and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well.
- Then, add honey and stir to form a homogeneous mask.
- Apply to clean, dry skin.
- Leave the mask for 15 minutes and remove with warm water.
Already using egg white as part of your beauty routine? As you can see, you can add this ingredient to so many different natural beauty products. Give these recipes a try, and experience the benefits for yourself.