Benefits and Side-Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric bypass surgery bypass is a common and effective procedure. Most people who are seriously overweight can undergo a successful gastric bypass surgery and don't experience negative consequences by always following their doctor's instruction.
The procedure is ideal for people who are obese that have tried dieting and got negative results. It’s also a highly recommendable surgery for people who have severe obesity because losing weight can be a solution to joint, back, circulation and other excessive weight related problems.
In regard to the success this operation could bring, Obesidad UC affirms that, “it has a high success rate from 60% to 70% weight loss in one year and it also significantly improves other related health conditions.”
Benefits of undergoing gastric bypass surgery
- The procedure is especially recommended for people whose body mass index exceeds a certain level that puts them at risks of serious health problems.
- It’s a very effective surgery for fighting obesity and has a short recovery period.
- Patients can lose up to 70% of their body weight. They normally lose the weight over a time period of 6 to 12 months. Many people, however, continue losing weight even after 24 months of the surgery.
- Recovery time is quick and free of problems. Patients usually are discharged after 3 days and are able to return to their normal life within 8 to 10 days after surgery.
- Since it’s a safe and effective procedure, apart from its positive results, it has become one of the most popular options to become healthy.
As with all surgical interventions, it implies certain short- and long-term risks depending on the patient. Undergoing a gastric bypass operation is one of the best options for losing weight effectively and safely.
You should seek out an experienced surgeon to perform the operation, to advice you on following a suitable diet and healthy lifestyle habits.
Read this article too: 5 Drinks to Help You Lose Weight
The side-effects are caused by a patient failing to follow the dietary rules and instructions that their doctor recommends. Some examples are the following:
1. Nutrient deficiencies
After the procedure, a part of the small intestine doesn’t receive essential nutrients (iron, calcium), thus the body doesn’t absorb them. Therefore, the body will experience a deficiency of those nutrients, which could result into other problems such as anemia or osteoporosis. Therefore, it is important to take vitamins to nourish these deficiencies.
Read this article too: Eat These Foods to Raise Your Iron Levels
Due to the body failing to receive all necessary nutrients, it becomes more vulnerable to all kinds of infections, which in turn causes the immune system to weaken.
3. Dumping syndrome
This syndrome is a stomach condition that appears around 20 minutes after eating. It causes cramps and nausea, which is due to the fats from foods that enter the intestine. It also causes irritation and an abrupt widening of the intestine, which turns into all types of problems such as cramps and soft stools.
Patients face this problem if they don’t follow their diet and eat excessive amounts of fatty or sweet foods. Gradually changing your diet and choosing healthier more natural foods is important and will help prevent digestion problems.
4. Intestinal obstruction
Patients might suffer from intense cramping, abdominal pain along with the feeling constipated. In surgery, the practitioner might unintentionally move a piece of the bowel into an open area; however, the chances of this surgical error are low.
Recommendations to follow post-intervention
- Follow the liquid diet your medical specialists recommended you. Include solid foods gradually into your diet.
- Follow all of your doctors’ instructions. Your recovery will be fast and simple if you follow through his/her instructions.
- Take vitamins and other nutritional supplements due to the changes in your digestive tract.
- Get knowledgeable about the matter before undergoing any kind of intervention. Likewise, doctors study each particular case and indicate the best option for them.