Beauty Products that You Should Use if You’re Over 40
Sooner or later, we all turn 40. Learn some beauty tricks and tips for these wonderful years in this article!
Reaching 40 implies an emotional, biological and physical change. In particular, women experience a transformation in the skin: the elasticity, firmness and skin regeneration capacity are no longer the same and the skin becomes mature. Using beauty products may help you stop this process.
However, age is not the only factor that causes premature aging. And it is clear that this is not only observed on the face, but also on the shoulders, the cleavage and of course the hands.
In biological terms, the skin suffers from a deterioration of its protective function. The dermis and hypodermis also cause problems in the structure of the skin.
What is the process?
As the years go by, the metabolism of the skin cells becomes slower, that is to say collagen is no longer made like before, and as a result the skin becomes flaccid. However, this does not mean that you can’t continue with a regular beauty routine.
The goal is to cover the needs that our new skin demands of us to maintain the cutaneous layers in the right condition.
Here we’ll describe the changes that are happening to your skin more specifically:
- Epidermis: the natural moisturizing capacity decreases and it becomes dryer and scaly.
- Dermoepidermic junction: the quantity of nutrients that is shared between the different layers of the skin reduces.
- Dermis: the collagen deteriorates and is not made in the same way. The blood flow also reduces due to the loss of blood vessels.
- Hypodermis: the fatty tissue becomes thinner. This is the cause of flaccidity.
- Cutaneous appendices: the sebaceous glands and sweat glands are less active in their secretion.
Do I have mature skin?
The following characteristics are a sign that your skin has become mature:
- Age spots: these arise particularly on the backs of the hands, the forearms and the face. They are characterized by a brownish color and their size can vary from a few millimeters to centimeters.
- Age warts: these are benign, pigmented swellings. They generally appear in areas that are exposed to the light.
- Loss of elasticity: the skin gets wrinkled and hangs off.
- Dryness: this arises due to the loss in liquid absorption capacity. As a result, the skin has a dry appearance with taut cracks that can sometimes cause itching.
We recommend you read: Tighten The Skin on Your Face with These 5 Natural Treatments
How to know what beauty products to choose
For best results it is advisable to consult a skin specialist before choosing any cosmetics or beauty products. This is because the signs of aging shown by the skin should be analyzed: how dry it is, its pigmentation and whether there are deep wrinkles.
Here is a list of the cosmetic products that you should use:
It is indispensable to compensate the loss of liquids with a moisturizer, given that moisturizers form a protective layer and prevent dryness. This is the case with olive oil, silicone and even vaseline in small quantities.
This product has the ability to retain liquids for longer. It is advisable to use a moisturizing cream that matches your skin type, whether it be mixed, dry or oily. It is important for it to be rich in vitamin E, because this vitamin eliminates scars, softens impurities and protects the skin from the sun’s rays.
- Ceramides: are molecules which are responsible for enabling the joining of the cells of the skin. The ideal thing is to use products of plant origin, obtained from rice, wheat and soya.
- Lipids: substances which have the function of filling out the skin. Especially liposomes which contain vitamins E and F.
- Equivalents to the Natural Moisturizing Factor (NMF): these are found in pyrrolidine carboxylic acid, urea, lactic acid and sodium lactate, sugars and allantoin, among others.
On the other hand, there are several options available on the market to improve the symptoms of age, such as:
- Collagen synthesis accelerators which reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
- Connective tissue redensifiers that help to give firmness to the skin.
- Cellular activity stimulators which accelerate cellular metabolism.
- Oligopeptides which are the new version of retinol and give the skin luminosity and freshness.
So, when will you begin to indulge your skin?