Baba Ghanoush Recipe: A Delicious Way to Eat Eggplant
Below, we show you a recipe for baba ghanoush. This is a delicious and different way to consume eggplants and enjoy their properties. It’s an easy dish to prepare, ideal for those people that, when it comes to eating, always seem to run out of time.
Middle Eastern baba ghanoush
Incorporating eggplants into your regular diet is a way to get more essential nutrients. Although it’s not as popular as other vegetables, it’s a food that provides vitamins, phenolic compounds, and antioxidants, as can be seen in a publication in the journal Food Chemistry.
Thanks to this, it’s one of the ingredients that promotes good health in many different ways. The best thing is that it’s easy to prepare and its flavor goes very well with other foods. To prepare this delicious Middle Eastern dish you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 eggplants
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 cup of tahini (4 fluid oz.)
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (1.5 fluid oz.)
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper
- Olive oil
Also read: Delicious Chickpea and Eggplant Salad
- The first step in the preparation of this recipe will be to properly wash the eggplants and chop them.
- Once chopped, add the cumin, salt, garlic cloves, and tahini. Many dishes in the Arabic world use this sesame seed paste. It has a delicious taste and texture.
- Then, by crushing the slices, extract all the juice they contain, as a result of cooking them. This way, you can prevent the eggplants from adding a slightly bitter touch to the stew.
- Next, cook them in a pot with enough water and a touch of salt. If you don’t have enough time to boil them, you can bake them lightly until the skin turns black.
- As you’re stirring the mixture so that the ingredients mix together well, add a little olive oil, bit by bit.
- Finally, add the paprika and the tablespoons of lemon juice, mixing everything well.
- Once the eggplant slices are soft, put them through the colander. If you have baked them, you’ll have to remove the blackened skin before doing this.
- When the whole mixture has a smooth texture, the dish will be almost ready. It just needs a little seasoning, and you’ll be able to serve it in dishes or bowls.
Baba ghanoush with potatoes
Now we’ll show you how to make a variation of the prior recipe by adding potatoes to the baba ghanoush. It will add a different texture and flavor. In addition, as highlighted in a study published in Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, potatoes are particularly high in vitamin C, several B vitamins, and potassium.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 8 green beans
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup of cream cheese (2 fluid oz.)
- Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet pepper
Discover: How to Grow Potatoes at Home
- To get started with this recipe, peel and wash the green beans and potatoes well, then put them on to boil in a pan with enough water and a bit of salt. If you wash the potatoes and green beans well, then you can save the peels you can make a delicious broth later.
- Then, peel the eggplant and cut it into slices. Preheat the oven to 375 ºF whilst you place the eggplant onto a baking tray with parchment paper. Season with salt and sweet pepper, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are beans are ready, take them out of the water and chop them up.
- Aside, peel and dice the onion very finely. In a pan with a bit of olive oil, sautee the diced onion and remove it from the heat just before it begins to turn golden.
- Then, remove the eggplant from the oven when it’s cooked, and put it into a blender along with the potatoes, green beans, and onion, along with the oil, in a blender.
- After that, add the cream cheese and half a glass of water to give it a better texture. To ensure you don’t lose any flavor, it’s best to use the water you cooked the potatoes in.
- Finally, blend everything together until you get a smooth texture without lumps.
Finishing and decorating the dish
Once ready, you can serve this delicious puree in deep dishes or in bowls. To decorate it, you can put some parsley on top, or sprinkle on some raw or lightly toasted sesame seeds.
If you like croutons, you can fry a few in a pan with a little oil, or even in the oven, and mix them with the baba ghanoush to add an interesting touch to the dish. However you eat it, you’ll see that it’s a delicious dish and very easy to prepare! What are you waiting for?