Athlete’s Foot: Prevention and Treatment

There are very effective natural ways to rid yourself of foot fungus, but you have to be consistent and very careful with their application.
Athlete’s Foot: Prevention and Treatment

Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is a fungal infection that affects the feet in between the toes, on the sole, and sides of the feet.

The name might lead you to believe it’s something that only athletes get, but anyone exposed to hot and humid conditions is susceptible.

As with any other type of fungi, it can be spread by skin to skin contact or sharing personal items. Even exposure to contaminated surfaces like pools and public showers can transmit this fungus.

It’s believed that about 98% of cases are caused by the fungi dermatophyte, and the other 2% occur when yeast such as candida or another bacteria begin to flourish.

Whatever the cause, people who suffer from athlete’s foot can all agree that they need a quick solution, because the symptoms are very unpleasant and can adversely affect the health of your feet.

Are you having this problem?

Natural treatments for athlete’s foot

Finding out whether you have athlete’s foot is fairly straightforward, and the most common symptoms are usually:

  • Severe itching
  • Strong odor
  • Blisters
  • Moist lesions
  • Pain and redness in the area

Unfortunately, treatment isn’t as easy as the diagnosis because it requires perseverance and patience to completely remove the fungus and restore your feet to good health.

Still, the earlier you start treating this problem, the sooner you can leave it behind you.

Visit this article: Recommendations for pretty and healthy feet




Apple cider vinegar

2 apple cider vinegarThis natural product contains particular acids and nutrients that regulate your skin’s pH to slow the development of fungi and fight athlete’s foot.

Applying it to your feet can help alleviate that annoying itching sensation, eliminate odors, and reduce redness.

How should you use it?

  • Mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl, and soak your feet for 20 to 30 minutes while it takes effect.
  • Dry your feet well after this treatment, and for the best results you should repeat it every day.

Tea tree oil

This natural product fights fungus and bacteria, and is a powerful antibiotic.

How should you use it?

  • To treat athlete’s foot, mix equal parts tea tree oil and olive oil, and apply it to the affected areas using a cotton ball.

Cinnamon

3 cinnamonCinnamon is a spice that has antibiotic properties to improve health and fight topical bacteria and fungus.

How should you use it?

  • Make a tea by boiling six cinnamon sticks in six cups of water (3 liters). Soak your feet in the liquid for 20 minutes as it cools.
  • Dry your feet well, and repeat this every day.

Aloe vera

Aloe’s moisturizing and restorative properties make it an excellent option for fighting the symptoms of athlete’s foot and protecting the delicate skin of this region.

How should you use it?

  • Scrape the gel from a fresh leaf of aloe and apply it to the affected areas twice a day.
  • Complement this treatment with an antifungal agent to kill the fungus.

See also: 4 ways to lose weight with aloe

How can you prevent athlete’s foot?

4 itchy feetAnyone who subjects their feet to warm and wet conditions runs a higher risk of developing athlete’s foot.

Getting rid of it can be difficult, so we recommend that you try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Wear proper shoes

Ideally you should be wearing shoes that allow your feet to breathe, preventing the buildup of moisture and heat, conditions that are prime for fungal growth.

Avoid sharing shoes and socks

No matter how close you might be to a person, try not to share items that come in contact with your feet because it’s a great way to spread fungus.

Don’t walk barefoot in damp areas

Some people have no problem walking around barefoot in places like swimming pools, changing rooms, and public showers – and this is how most of them develop this problem in the first place. It’s a good idea to always wear sandals, and to disinfect them when you get home.

Dry your feet thoroughly

If you don’t dry your feet well, the areas between your toes will remain moist, creating a perfect environment for fungus to flourish. It’s a good idea to make sure you’re completely dry before putting on socks and shoes.

Choose a drying powder

Antifungal powders are better than sprays or creams, because they help keep your feet even more dry.