There are many vegetables that are beneficial for your body. Among them, we can find artichokes.
Amazingly, this vegetable has the ability to absorb the water in your stomach. Plus, its vegetable fiber helps to calm your appetite. Besides making you feel full, it speeds up your metabolism and the weight loss process.
The History of Artichokes
This flavorful vegetable has been heavily used in history. This is because of its nutrient content, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
The Greeks and Romans ate it. Then, during the middle ages, King Henry VII introduced it to England. In the Middle Ages, artichokes were a very expensive food. Because of this, people paid large amounts of money for it.
Nowadays, you can find artichokes in different forms in stores.
Even though they’re sold in capsules in health food stores, we recommend eating it in its natural form.
You should choose ones that have large buds and a clear green tone. These are the healthiest.
The benefits of artichokes
- The digestive properties of this vegetable are an ideal natural remedy to treat certain diseases. These include excessive uric acid, Rheumatism, and problems with bile stones.
- Artichokes reduce your triglyceride levels. Because of this, they’re really valuable for fighting cholesterol. Eating them reduces your bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases your good cholesterol (HDL).
- Because of their advantages when it comes to controlling your cholesterol, artichokes are also the perfect allies for fighting high blood pressure and arteriosclerosis.
- For both constipation and diarrhea, artichokes help you thanks to their large content of fiber.
- Besides, artichokes can be a great cleanser. This means they can help your body to get rid of different toxins and substances it doesn’t need.
Benefits for your digestive system
- Among their properties, artichokes also help to relieve stomach acid. At the same time, they’re great for getting rid of pain, abdominal distention, and other pain.
- This vegetable takes care of your stomach and helps you to digest. Also, it’s perfect for getting rid of bile.
- As you know, artichokes are usually used in diets. Thanks to their fiber, they’re ideal for controlling your appetite. They keep you full!
- Plus, they’re also known for their vitamins (A and B) and minerals (sodium, iron, magnesium, and potassium).
- They also have diuretic properties. Because of this, they help get rid of liquid retention in your body and cleanse toxins.
- They’re ideal for problems like gout, arthritis, liver diseases, circulatory diseases, and for reducing fats when you’re overweight.
How should you eat artichokes?
The best way to eat artichokes is by steaming and cooking them. When you do this, you can add a little olive oil and apple cider vinegar. They’re healthy and delicious.
- Before cooking them, you need to clean them and cut them a little: the stalk and the outer skin.
- To cook them, put them in a pot with water and add the juice from 1 or 2 lemons.
- Then, cover the pot. When the water starts to boil, put it on low heat and let it cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
One of the problems of boiling artichokes is their rapid oxidization. By taking off the leaves, they start to brown very quickly. Because of this, it’s very useful to have some lemon on hand and rub them with the lemon.
It also helps to add a little parsley to the water when cooking artichokes. The parsley produces a substance that prevents oxidation.
- When they’ve cooked for 30 to 40 minutes, take it out of the liquid (which you can keep) and drain them. Then they are ready to eat.
Artichoke tea is a very good product for encouraging weight loss. Like you’ve seen, artichokes are sometimes used in diets.
Thanks to its appetite calming and liquid removing properties, it is one of the best and most used vegetables for these goals.
- Some artichoke leaves
- 1 cup of water
- Wash the artichoke leaves well. Add them to a pot with the cup of water.
- Bring them to a boil and let them boil for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take them off of the heat. Strain the liquid, and let it sit for 5 more minutes.
When to drink it
- You can drink up to three glasses of this tea per day.
- To get a better filling effect, it’s recommended to drink a cup of artichoke tea 30 minutes before each meal.