Many doctors advise their patients to drink a glass of red wine a day because it is good for their health. Many people closely follow this advice but they don’t always know the real reasons why a professional recommends this. They just follow it because their doctor said to. Find out what the advantages of drinking wine everyday are.
A Glass a Day: the Special Recipe
Wine is good for you if you drink appropriate amounts of it, which, according to experts, is one glass a day. But, be careful because it’s not just any wine, it has to be red wine. It’s also not a matter of drinking it anytime you want: it has to be at dinner or lunch (the first option is better because of convenience. If you’re working and your mouth smells like wine, it won’t go over well).
Several studies have concluded all of this information. They confirm that a glass of red wine a day helps prevent many cardiovascular diseases for men as well as women. It can also be used to treat diseases and disorders like diabetes, dementia, and osteoporosis. Although wine is one of the oldest alcoholic drinks in the world, its advantages have only been discovered a little while ago. Previously, it was only drank to have fun, relax, accompany meals, or drink something different.
Benefits of Drinking Wine Daily
These are some of the confirmed advantages of drinking a glass of red wine a day:
- Reduces the risk of various causes of death: In Europe, studies confirm that drinking between 22 and 32 grams of alcohol a day has a “protective” effect on your health because it prevents many causes of death. In Denmark, France, and England it is better than beer or other alcoholic beverages.
- Reduces cigarettes’ effects: Wine can regulate damages that tobacco causes in blood vessels by either relaxing them or through vasodilation. Above all, it has positive effects on the endothelium, a layer of cells that reduce the friction between lymphatic and blood vessels, but above all, the heart.
- Prevents cardiovascular diseases: This is one of the most well-known effects of red wine as long as it is consumed in good measure and regularly. Scientists say that red wine reduces the possibility of suffering from coronary disease by reducing the production of “bad” cholesterol and increasing the “good” kind.
- Blood-thinning and anti-blood clotting effects: This is not only achieved by drinking wine everyday, but they have also found out that sporadic drinkers have less amounts of fibrinogen protein, which promotes the formation of blood clots.
- Prevents Atherosclerosis: This is one of diseases caused by the degeneration of arteries. Wine counteracts its symptoms and may even prevent it. Atherosclerosis occurs when blood vessels lose their ability to relax. The alcohol in this drink helps vessels stay healthy because of the formation of nitric oxide, a fundamental substance in vascular relaxation.
- Balances blood pressure: Although it is known that excessive consumption of alcohol causes hypertension, drinking a glass (250 ml) of wine a day has the opposite effect because it lowers pressure after a meal for people that suffer from this problem.
- Reduces the formation of kidney stones: Drinking red wine everyday reduces the risk of developing kidney stones.
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease: Studies have shown that resveratrol (a component in red wine) produces neuro-protecting effects, which keep this condition from developing.
These are some of the advantages of wine:
- Prevents dementia.
- Reduces the risk of contracting rheumatoid arthritis
- Prevents the flu and colds
- Reduces the possibility of contracting throat cancer
- Helps you stay awake and alert
- Useful for digestion
- Improves blood circulation
- Reduces the risk of getting diabetes
- Prevents premature aging of memory cells
- Improves varicose veins
- Prevents prostate cancer
- Helps protein assimilation
- Improves your skin
- Helps your vision and prevents diseases like diabetic retinopathy
- Reduces hemorrhoid pain and discomfort
- Reduces allergies because of its antihistamine properties
- Prevents blood clots
Why Red Wine?
Many people may wonder why it has to be red wine and not any other kind (rosé, white, sparkling). There are many reasons. Thus, it is best to know a little more about this drink. It is made with the juice from red grapes which are picked from the vine in a process called “the harvest”. The bunches can be picked by hand or with scissors, or with special machinery as well. Select wines have a more manual and home process that range from the planting and care of the vine, to the collection, transport, and preparation of the wine.
Preparing the wine involves the processes of soaking, compression, fermentation, decantation, filtration, and bottling.
Another reason why wine is good for your health is the amount of polyphenols it has (which come from the grape’s skin and seeds) that among other functions, protect the heart. How? By eliminating free radicals. White wine, for example, does it with just the pulp, which is why it doesn’t contain these substances. According to the type of grape, the amount of sun, the land the bunches were grown on, or the alcohol concentration, they will have more or less polyphenols.
Images courtesy of Fredrik Rubensson, F Delventhal, akash Mehra, Dinner Series, Martin Cathrae