A Step-by-Step Recipe for Pear Sponge Cake
Pear sponge cake is a classic snack you can enjoy any time of the day. In fact, its moist spongy consistency will delight young and old alike. Learn how to make it and treat your family; it’s quite simple, just follow the recipe below!
Making a pear sponge cake
Firstly, this cake is pretty straightforward and basically a twist of the traditional sponge cake made with eggs, sugar, flour, oil, and milk. However, there are two extra ingredients: pear and yogurt. Be sure to take some notes.
As with all sweet dishes, there are several ways to make a sponge cake. The one we’re about to present here is one of the simplest ones. You surely have most ingredients at home. The recommended amount will yield 7 to 8 servings. Of course, you may adjust it according to your needs.
- 1/2 c. of yogurt
- 1 c. of mild olive oil
- 1/2 c. of brown sugar
- 1 c. of flour
- 3 medium-sized eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp. of baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 lbs of firm pears or a large can of preserved ones
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Check out this Delicious Apple Sponge Cake Recipe
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring out all ingredients so they’re at room temperature.
- Then, wash the pears, cut them in half, and remove the skin and inedible parts (be sure the mode of preservation is as natural as possible if you opt for canned pears).
- Sift the flour and the baking powder together.
- Grease a springform pan with a drizzle of oil and sprinkle some flour to keep it from sticking (you can also use wax paper).
- Firstly, incorporate the eggs in a large bowl and then add the sugar and mix it until it’s fluffy and pale yellow. Five minutes with an electric mixer should suffice but know it’ll take longer if you do it by hand.
- Then, add the olive oil and whisk it into the mixture.
- Now, add the yogurt using a spatula as you’ll begin to smoothly fold the ingredients.
- Then, slowly add the sifted flour previously mixed with the baking powder. Do this step in two or three parts to prevent lumps.
- Now it’s time to incorporate is the pear. (Try to use fresh fruit as preserved one usually undergoes a pasteurization process that can decrease the content of certain nutrients.)
- Now, either cut the pear into thin slices, sprinkle with cinnamon, and set it aside to add as a garnish, or cube it so it’s chewy.
- If you opt for the first choice then place the mixture in the greased baking dish, put it inside the oven, and take it out halfway through cooking to arrange the slices on top. For the second choice, just add the cubes to the dough in the last step. This one is faster.
- Finally, cook it for 45 minutes to complete the baking process.
(If you notice the fruit is already cooked, but the cake isn’t then cover it with aluminum foil until it’s fully cooked. This way you won’t burn the fruit.)
The nutritional properties of pears
Pears have a remarkable nutritional value. First of all, they have hefty amounts of insoluble fiber. The kind that helps improve digestion and prevent constipation, according to some studies.
It contains the following:
- Minerals like potassium
- Vitamin C
- Phytochemical compounds (substances produced by all vegetables) such as flavonoids, catechins, and organic acids
What are the benefits of using yogurt?
Yogurt is one of the main ingredients in this recipe. It’s a byproduct of the fermentation of milk by probiotics. These are live microorganisms with many health advantages when consumed in adequate amounts.
In fact, studies reveal that live cultures increase the immune response against viral infections and restore intestinal health, among other health benefits.
Of course, like all dairy products, it’s also a source of calcium, proteins, and other nutrients that significantly contribute to covering your nutritional requirements. There’s scientific evidence that the consumption of natural yogurt greatly adds to a healthy diet.
Make this delicious pear sponge cake at home
Now you know how to make this delicious cake so go ahead and make it. It isn’t only simple to make but also a great way to add more fruit and yogurt into your regular diet. This is because both ingredients are packed with the kind of nutrients that contribute to your optimal well-being.It might interest you...