A Simple Recipe for Cabbage Fried Rice
This cabbage fried rice contains two universal ingredients you can use in many, many ways. The best part is that both are equally wholesome, not to mention tasty. As you can imagine, this dish makes a lot of sense from a nutritional perspective.
This dish is originally from Italy, they know it as Riso e Verza there and it’s typical of the Campania region. The dish basically contains these two ordinary ingredients, although there it’s usually soupier. You will definitely ask for seconds after you try it.
An adaptable dish suitable for the entire family
One of the best parts of this dish is you can make it in no time. Also, this recipe doesn’t require a high level of cooking experience as it’s quite easy to follow.
Furthermore, it’s ideal for an impromptu meal, especially when you don’t have a lot of time to cook but want something hearty and tasty. It’s isn’t only a different way to include vegetables in your menu but it’s also appropriate for any occasion.
Have it as a main course at lunch or for dinner. It goes great with meat or some other source of protein.
Check out these Eleven Reasons to Eat Red Cabbage
- 1 onion
- 10 oz of cabbage
- 1 c. of rice
- A small ripe tomato
- 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. of salt and a pinch of white bell pepper to season
How to prepare the recipe step by step
- Cut the cabbage in half to begin and then remove the thickest middle stalk and cut the leaves into thin strips. Now, wash under running water and drain it. Set aside, peel and chop the onion and wash and dice the tomato into small cubes.
- Place a large pot of water on the fire. Add a little salt and boil the cabbage for eight to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in another pot of water and salt until it’s cooked to your taste.
- Separately, place a saucepan or wide frying pan on the fire. Then, add 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté the onion until translucent. Now add the tomato and sauté it all for a few more minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the cabbage from the heat once it’s ready and drain it. Next, add the onion and tomato, and sauté them. Repeat the process with the rice and mix everything together for a few minutes so as to allow them to soak the flavor for about two or three minutes. It’s important not to overcook the cabbage and the rice.
Things to keep in mind when making cabbage fried rice
Firstly, you must wash the vegetables properly and make sure your utensils and work surfaces are clean. Wash the onions and any other vegetable that you’ll peel before removing the skin.
In addition, stick to buying local produce that’s in season. You won’t only gain in taste, but also in the quality of nutrients.
The brassica family
Cabbage and any other vegetables of this family (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower) are great sources of important nutrients. This is why you must include them in your regular diet. However, there are some contraindications.
One of them is about the content of vitamin K, as it can interfere with anticoagulant drugs. According to the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition, people undergoing this kind of treatment must eat cabbage in moderation.
In addition, some components present in cruciferous vegetables, such as goitrogens, often interfere with the normal function of the thyroid gland. Nevertheless, health specialists indicate these vegetables are only problematic in extremely high quantities.
Thus, the best recommendation for people with high blood pressure is to consume cruciferous vegetables in moderate quantities. Do consult your doctor for personalized advice.
Finally, cabbage produces flatulence, so reduce the portions, and cook all ingredients properly if you have this problem. In addition, certain spices like bay leaf, cumin, or ginger help decrease gas production.
Read about A Home Remedy for Heartburn with Cabbage
Cabbage fried rice is a wholesome dish to eat often
You can easily cook this dish al dente if you want it soupy and with a crunchy texture. You must cook the cabbage more if you have a tendency to experience digestive problems though.
In addition, cook this dish just before you serve it. A great way to save some time is to cook the rice beforehand and wash and cut the vegetables and have them ready to sauté.
Fried rice is a great dish to try when you have too much of a given vegetable. Thus, just add any vegetable you may have in your fridge such as peppers, zucchini, carrots, etc.
Finally, add chicken, tofu, chickpeas, or an omelet cut into thin strips for a wholesome dish that contains all the macronutrients. You can enjoy this dish anywhere and at any time, all year long.