A Delicious Homemade Yogurt Sauce Recipe
A homemade yogurt sauce is a highly versatile sauce that can accompany a wide variety of dishes. We encourage you to make one of the following versions at home.
You can make most of the sauces you find at the supermarket at home. So, today we’re going to give you the recipe for a homemade yogurt sauce that’s as delicious as it is versatile. It goes well with any type of dish.
The advantages of homemade sauces
- You can customize them with your favorite ingredients
- You can use fresh ingredients and prepare them just before you consume them to maintain the yogurt’s properties
- Homemade sauces are cheaper, especially when you only make the amount you need
- There are fewer leftovers that can spoil, especially if you’re using perishable ingredients like yogurt
- Also, you can adapt them to the needs of the people who are going to eat them. Most real yogurts, with live cultures or probiotics, are already low in lactose so those who are lactose intolerant are covered. There are also vegan yogurts on the market.
Homemade yogurt sauce varieties
You can make as many yogurt sauces as you can imagine. This is because yogurt is highly versatile and blends well with other ingredients such as herbs, spices, and even pickled goods. Thus, you can obtain a salty, spicy, sweet, and sweet and sour sauce. It all depends on the dish you’re going to eat it with.
Read more: Recipes for Alpine-Style Yogurt
For a lighter sauce, use diluted natural yogurt, and just add a little water.
However, if you prefer a thicker sauce for dipping then opt for whole or Greek yogurt. You can add pickles, olives, and even anchovies. You’ll end up with a more wholesome homemade yogurt sauce.
Uses of homemade yogurt sauces
A homemade yogurt sauce has many uses in the kitchen. Let’s see what some of them are.
This is something similar to a mojo (dunking/dipping sauce) or a very thick sauce. It goes well with hummus and guacamole for dipping vegetable sticks, toast and pita bread.
To make this dip, we recommend using a natural Greek yogurt and spices or fresh herbs to taste.
Do you like kebabs, burritos and vegetable snacks? If so, then you must try the Greek tzatziki sauce as it’s quite suitable for this type of food. In fact, it might just be one of the best-known yogurt sauces. Its flavor will refresh your mouth and add creaminess to your recipes.
Sauce dressing seasoning
This sauce is for seasoning greens, rice, pasta, and salads. It’s also great as a dressing for steamed vegetables.
Discover more: The Yogurt Diet – A Healthy Way to Lose Weight
Try replacing store-bought salad dressings with this homemade sauce. It’ll be creamier, lighter, easier to digest and lower in fat than other sauces made with sour cream or cheese.
Salad dressing sauce
Yogurt sauces are suitable for both meat and fish recipes. In fact, they go very well with lamb stews and also with simple dishes such as a grilled chicken breast.
If you’re looking for a sauce for fish dishes such as a loin of salmon or hake, just mix some yogurt with dill, chives, and curry or mustard.
Homemade yogurt sauce – the basic recipe
As you can see, there are many types of yogurt sauce. Still, there are some basic ingredients an authentic yogurt sauce must contain.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 9 oz of yogurt (2 commercial units). You’ll need natural yogurt to make the basic sauce, and, above all, make sure it actually contains live cultures/probiotics and has no sugar. Beware of 0% or light yogurts because they usually have added sweeteners.
- 1 or 2 tbsp of olive oil. (You can use milder vegetable oil if the flavor is too strong for you, but always opt for cold-pressed unrefined vegetable oil.)
- 19 oz of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
Pour all the ingredients into a bowl – starting with the yogurt – and then add the oil and the lemon juice. Then, season it to taste and mix it well with a spoon to a smooth consistency. Store it in the fridge if you’re not going to eat it right then. It’ll keep for 24 hours max.
Try it for flavor and add any other ingredient you might like. It’s sure to turn out really well!