Prevent Cancer: 9 Effective Ways According to Experts
You might think that there is nothing you can do to prevent cancer. Everyone has a story about someone close to them who, in spite of leading a healthy life, still developed this disease.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has listed certain strategies that can help prevent up to 50% of all cancer cases. It’s important to keep those tips in mind.
For example, the European Code against Cancer tells us that while stomach cancer was the most common type a few decades ago, today the most deadly type of cancer is lung cancer in both men and women.
No doubt, it’s a direct result of unhealthy lifestyle habits that increased this risk.
That’s why it never hurts to keep some simple tips in mind when it comes to your daily life. Sometimes very small changes can bring you big results.
1. To prevent cancer, avoid tobacco
If you want to reduce your risk of cancer, the first thing you should do is avoid tobacco products. By that we’re not just talking about the regular consumption of nicotine, but also avoiding passive smoking as well.
- As we mentioned earlier in this article, lung cancer is one of the most common types of cancer today and it also claims more lives.
- Switching to electronic or low-tar cigarettes isn’t enough—the best solution is only where the inhalation of fumes and other toxic substances is completely avoided.
See also “5 most common types of cancer in women“
2. Maintain a healthy body weight
As the National Cancer Institute has indicated, obesity increases your risk of endometrial cancer, pancreatic cancer, colorectal cancer, or thyroid cancer.
- Excess body fat promotes increased estrogen production in women, for example. This can cause a variety of mutations in which normal cells may become cancerous.
- Always consult your doctor or nutritionist to help you get on the path to a healthy weight. It’s worth it!
3. Avoid a sedentary lifestyle
To avoid a sedentary lifestyle it’s not enough to go out and walk once a week. Your body needs daily movement and exercise to improve circulation, oxygenation, and help your body function at its optimum levels.
You don’t need to completely wear yourself out. In most cases, something as simple as walking quickly for half an hour every day can be just what you need.
Remember to always get outside in a park or a green space where the air is clean!
4. Say “yes” to a healthy diet
People need to become more aware that eating healthy is synonymous with good health and longevity.
- Eat fresh foods that are organic, if possible.
- Remember to drink six to eight glasses of water a day.
- Increase your intake of fiber and vitamin C.
Also read “9 surprising uses for lemons“
5. Avoid alcohol or consume it in moderation
Like everything else in life, moderation and balance are the most important. Anything in excess will have consequences, and this is also the case with alcohol.
- To do everything you can to prevent cancer, either avoid alcohol altogether, or drink one glass of red wine a day, which will help protect your heart.
6. Protect yourself from UV rays
One essential way to prevent cancer is by adequately protecting yourself from ultraviolet radiation.
- Sunlight is necessary for the body and it helps you obtain and synthesize vitamin D, but you need to avoid being exposed to it in the middle of the day, and also be sure to control your exposure time.
7. Avoid working with pollutants and toxic substances
It’s not always possible to control the environment around you, especially at work. However, it is important to be vigilant about addressing any safety precautions.
If you work in a factory where you handle chemicals, always take care to use adequate protective measures and have regular health checkups. It’s important and can help prevent cancer and other dangerous diseases!
8. The danger of radon
Although you might not be aware of it, radon is an invisible enemy that’s present in most of our cities, fields, and forests, and it can lead to a slow death.
Radon is a radioactive element that radiates naturally from the earth’s crust.
You can always consult the Environmental Protection Agency’s website, where you’ll learn how to detect and prevent your exposure to this substance.
9. The importance of vaccinations
Something as simple as vaccinating your babies for hepatitis B and young girls for HPV can help prevent a variety of kinds of cancer.
It’s also important to consider these simple facts:
- Women should have regular gynecological exams and breast cancer exams.
- Both men and women should have early screenings for lung cancer and colorectal cancer.
It’s important that you choose a medical institution that also promotes this type of preventative screening.It might interest you...